Phantom 2 Vision + Near Tall Buildings

harens

I am seeking advice on the use of my Phantom 2 vision + near tall buildings. I live in a condo in the downtown area of a major midwest city. My building is 24 floors in height with a very nice wide rooftop deck at the top of the building. It is about 100 ft long and 50 ft wide. The condo is 1-2 blocks away from other equally tall buildings and 4-5 blocks from even taller buildings. I would like to take my phantom to the roof and fly it from there to get pictures and video of the city. I would think that my flight would be about 100 ft up from the deck (probably near 400 ft. total) and stay fairly close to my building. There are some maintenance objects on the roof that stick up above the deck maybe 30 ft so I need to get above them. MY questions: 1. Do you think the return home would work within that 100x50 ft deck if I had to use it?, 2. Would radio interference (near tall buildings) really be a problem? (ours is concrete and brick mostly), 3. Wind issues... but I can pick a pretty good day for that, 4. Other issues I need to consider?..

Tahoe Ed

In a metro area interference on 2.4gHz may be a problem for GPS and your wifi video link. Your compass calibration may also be a problem with all the rebar in the building and metal objects nearby. As far as RTH goes, 50x100' is plenty but with obstacles and possibly iffy GPS I would be more comfortable in landing it myself rather than having the Naza do it. You can switch out of Failsafe/RTH by switching out of and back to GPS. You will then have control via the Tx.

harens

Thanks. Do you know if there is a way to check the interference level before I do anything. Maybe just on the ground or with another device...sort of an "interference tester"?

mephisto

Don't rely on GPS anywhere near tall buildings. Won't work. Don't ever rely on GPS, better make a free flight.

GPS won't care about 2.4ghz, but RC maybe a Problem.

photobobga

Tahoe Ed is right on... flying around any building posses a major issue. The 2.4 gHz is used by a lot of electronics; if your building has wireless internet and the signal is boasted, beware. GPS signals can bounce off builds with glass and cause havoc. if the Phantom has any issue and takes a fall what is below your building... cars, people, children? Stick to open parks and fields.

harens

OK, seems to me I need to stay away, BUT... I really love those videos of big buildings in an urban setting. So, how closes might be to close? If I am a block away or two blocks away? Does anyone have any experience with distance from these GPS or wifi or wireless challenges. I recently did my first real video in a park about five blocks away from downtown and that certainly went fine, but I did not get really great video either. Your thoughts?