Phantom 2 non-vision prop and motor upgrades?

Wind_Shear

I see a lot of vendors offering carbon fiber props and a handful offering motor upgrade kits, and am trying to decide if I should take the plunge.

Right now I'm flying mine fully stock, but am getting ready to install the Zenmuse, GoPro Black+, FPV system, and a GPS tracker. I want to make sure I have the most reliable & stable platform before installing all those upgrades.

Can anyone relate any experiences they've had with upgrading their motors and/or props on the P2 (or P1 for that matter)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

I see a lot of vendors offering carbon fiber props and a handful offering motor upgrade kits, and am trying to decide if I should take the plunge.

Right now I'm flying mine fully stock, but am getting ready to install the Zenmuse, GoPro Black+, FPV system, and a GPS tracker. I want to make sure I have the most reliable & stable platform before installing all those upgrades.

Can anyone relate any experiences they've had with upgrading their motors and/or props on the P2 (or P1 for that matter)?

My suggestion is not to mess with the motors or the props. I am running a P2 with H3-2D, GoPro 3, iOSD, and DJI video downlink. They all work fine. Do the most recent upgrade for the Tx and the H3-2D and you will be fine.

nisouck

My suggestion is not to mess with the motors or the props. I am running a P2 with H3-2D, GoPro 3, iOSD, and DJI video downlink. They all work fine. Do the most recent upgrade for the Tx and the H3-2D and you will be fine.

You have the same config as mine; works great!!
I am impressed!

cootertwo

Be careful buying carbon fiber blades. I just got 2 sets, (8 blades) $40 + shipping. ALL 8 are so far out of balance, I probably won't be able to use them. Going to investigate some kind of heavy paint, that I could put on the light ends, maybe. Started using scotch tape, not heavy enough. Switched to clear packing tape, had 4 layers on the tip, and still not enough! Some of these story's about carbon fiber blades breaking at the hub, are probably a result of badly balanced, crappy blades, like the ones I just got.

Hobbypower Carbon Fiber 9443 Propeller Balanced Jello Fix for DJI Phantom 2 Vision(pack of 2 Pairs )
Sold by Cheerwing USA
Condition: New

Upgrade Carbon Fiber Propellers Props CW/CCW Blades for DJI Phantom 2 Pair(4PCS)
Sold by Cheerwing USA
Condition: New

Hexwing

Hi, I have a phantom 2 with upgraded (balanced) Axi 2217/20 KV860 and (balanced) Graupner 9in... I can tell you one thing, amazing smoothness/lift!!! vs stock
I fly 20 minutes with fpv+h3-2d++ at 1336g. I love this quad ! :D

Hexwing

Tahoe, cost 450$ total for engine/prop... Yea I know it's expensive but I already had the motor so...!!!

B

Bengit

Hi, I have a phantom 2 with upgraded (balanced) Axi 2217/20 KV860 and (balanced) Graupner 9in... I can tell you one thing, amazing smoothness/lift!!! vs stock

Has anyone drilled the graupner 9x5 to use with the stock motors, and any comments as to if it is worth it?

Tahoe Ed

I have used the Graupner 9x5 props. They were good until the DJI 10x3.8 props came out and then the new P2, P2V and E300 props came out. I have the graupners setting in a box.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I still use the 9x5 graupners on my F550 and stock motors. I just filed them to fit so I could still make use of the notch.

Zoochase

My personal experience with CF props and upgraded motors has not been good. I have gone back to stock and am very happy. I got the Anti-Gravity motors and one of them was bad. I fought with Atlanta Hobby and had to file a claim with PayPal before they finally replaced them. Horrible customer service. I now have a brand new set on my desk and no intention to use them unless I have a stock motor go out.

SJBrit

Digging up an old thread here. Hexwing - did you notice any difference in noise from your upgraded system? I'd love to stop my Phantom 2 sounding like a flying weed-whacker....