Phantom 2 FPV

Hi guys, I'm new to multirotors and fpv and recently bought a phantom 2 with zenmuse gimble...I have a gopro 3 black edition that I would like to use for pictures and video and also for fpv...my question would be what do I need for a good setup for fpv with stock phantom transmitter that would give me good range and I'm looking to go with a monitor rather than goggles? I was thinking on immersion rc for transmitter and the black pearl dual diversity 7" screen....do I need anything else or is this a good system? All recommendations appreciated. Thanks for your time guys.

chipwich

Hey Kellershark, believe it or not the Phantoms are relatively easy to setup for FPV. I've got v. 1, but I helped my brother with version 2. Both of us are running the H3-2D gimbal. It's easier with the 2 because you don't need to install the upgrade board for the gimbal. I am running the Fat Shark 250 mw 5.8 transmitter and using a GoPro 3 blk for fpv and recording. Some folks don't like this arrangement, but for LOS it really simple and mine has been reliable. The Flite Test guys all said that they use their GoPros for LOS fpv as well.

With my setup, I've found that the video and RC begin to reach their limits at about the same range if you have good video antennas. Actually, I've had my Phantom go into Failsafe and begin coming home before I completely lost video one time, but was able to regain control a min or two later. If you want to run a monitor, I'd buy the biggest one your pocketbook can afford with the 8" being the bottom end. I use Attitude SD goggles and an 8" monitor coming with an Immersion Uno VRX, or just the goggles. I like the 250 mw, trying to keep my radios from stepping on each other, but my brother's 600 mw Fat Shark VTX does seem to have a little more range.

You can make your own cable, but this is what I use and it is plug and play for both Phanton 2 and Phantom 1 with upgrade board. Connects FS VTX to Phantom system board and through that to the H3-2D. There is a good video there on how to connect them. Both my brother and I stick the VTX to the bottom of the Phantom's body, behind the gimbal and on the opposite side as the compass module. You can use 3M double sided tape. I use the outdoor permenant one, which you can easily remove with a sharp hobby knife if needed. Mount your VTX with the ugly side down, so you can get to the dip switches in case you need to change channels.

Here is the latest video that I've put together with my Phantom. You can pause the film in the shot behind the Phantom when it takes off to see where my VTX is located.

http://vimeo.com/86216611

One more thing. In the film that you just watched, at the highest point I had lost visual contact with the Phantom. It's small and white and on a bright day, you can easily loose it. But with FPV, I still knew where it was. What had happened is that I lost altitude awareness and was slowly climbing. Since then, I've helped my brother install the mini iOSD, which adds HUD info to your FPV view including altitude and vertical speed. On the Phantom 2, you can move the CANBUS inside the body and mount the iOSD there too, keeping it clean. Very cool setup which I highly recommend. I've ordered one for my F550, and a second for the next project. One of the coolest things DJI has done in the last year, among many great additions to their product line, IMO.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions.