Phantom 1 goes into failsafe at around 20m

Redhammer

Hello, I have recently started flying a phantom 1. I don't fly very far because I'm still learning the controls and whatnot. Upon testing recently the phantom acted as if it lost signal at around 20m, failsafe kicked in and in landed back at its starting point. Did a second flight with same result. I have noticed from watching videos of other phantoms that my phantoms start up sequence might not be completing. Mines does as follows. Self test completes and records homepoint (I assuming because failsafe landing worked fine) it doesn't seem to search for GPS Sats after that. There is no green or red flashing indicating it has found sats and no yellow flashing lights indicating it is warming up. After the start up sequence and recording homepoint (this takes about 5 sec) there are no lights. I've waited a few minutes before but after the initial start up test motors will turn on. Upon reading the manual and watching some start up videos I see phantoms flash a green light during flight but I don't see that either.
Any thoughts on what is going on?

Earlier flight tests were on the 3.16 firmware and I'm quite sure I had it out 40-60m and everything seemed fine. The issue described above is on firmware 4.02. I have updated to the 4.02 firmware, calibrate compass, IMU, and transmitter. This phantom was damaged (not by me :tennis:) and I was tasked with fixing it. I have replaced one motor ESC board and had to solder on a wire or two that came off the main board.

Last edited by a moderator:

photobobga

If by chance you have a GoPro attached to your Phantom be sure that the WiFi (blue light blinking) is turned off. This will cause that effect.