KK Flight Controller Pgains on KK board for Hexacopter (X)

Skywalker

I just built my first Hex, DJIf550 frame. I used cheap basic stuff, 930kv Mystery motors, 30A Plush ESC, 11.1 30c, 10X4.5 props, and kk2 board. I am using a DX7 and ar6100 micro reciever.
I could not get this thing to fly until I turned the Pgain settings all the way down to 20 (Igain settings at 0). It actually hovers pretty good, but the stick response is painfully slow. It seems odd to me because the factory suggested Pgain settings for the Hex is 150, and 50 on the Igain. Am I missing something? The suggested settings do not work at all for this setup. Does anyone have a good tune for this type of setup?

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a 550 frame (AeroSky) that i swapped out the multiwii and put in the KK2 board. I have firmware 1.6 on the KK2 board. It is true I had trouble with hovering in the beginning but after i cranked up the P and I it has become a very stable bird. originally my settings were very low like what you had and it was not fun to fly at all very SLOW like you say and too easy to over correct. I am still tweaking the settings every flight.
Here is what I have setup right now.

Pitch/Roll
P Gain 150
P Limit 100
I Gain 50
I Limit 25

Yaw
P Gain 150
P Limit 50
I Gain 120
I Limit 30

I'm not saying this is perfect but it is working very well so far for me and I'm very new to multirotors. This is my first.
AutoLevel is working ok right now I need to work it out some more in the next few nights. The settings for auto level need to be much lower I tried really high settings and it was not happy.

Originally I was getting frustrated and then had to make big changes on one thing at a time to see the differences and it will guide you to what is comfortable setting for you. Big changes was p gain from 50 to 125
My biggest problem was a slow drift in Yaw after some research and cranking up p gain and i gain the yaw drift has almost completely disappeared.
I hope this helps some - Good Luck

Skywalker

I have a 550 frame (AeroSky) that i swapped out the multiwii and put in the KK2 board. I have firmware 1.6 on the KK2 board. It is true I had trouble with hovering in the beginning but after i cranked up the P and I it has become a very stable bird. originally my settings were very low like what you had and it was not fun to fly at all very SLOW like you say and too easy to over correct. I am still tweaking the settings every flight.
Here is what I have setup right now.

Pitch/Roll
P Gain 150
P Limit 100
I Gain 50
I Limit 25

Yaw
P Gain 150
P Limit 50
I Gain 120
I Limit 30

I'm not saying this is perfect but it is working very well so far for me and I'm very new to multirotors. This is my first.
AutoLevel is working ok right now I need to work it out some more in the next few nights. The settings for auto level need to be much lower I tried really high settings and it was not happy.

Originally I was getting frustrated and then had to make big changes on one thing at a time to see the differences and it will guide you to what is comfortable setting for you. Big changes was p gain from 50 to 125
My biggest problem was a slow drift in Yaw after some research and cranking up p gain and i gain the yaw drift has almost completely disappeared.
I hope this helps some - Good Luck

Thank you for the setup. I will give it a shot. What kind of motors/esc are you using? I currently have the 1.5 version of the kk2. Did you notice any differences with the 1.6?

I got my board with 1.2 firmware and upgraded straight to 1.6 before I ever installed it. So I have no opinion on other versions. I am using the stock motors and ESCs from the AeroSky 550 RTF version.
Motors: 2212 OutRunner Brushless 920KV
ESCs: 40A Hobbywing SkyWalker

Skywalker

I got my board with 1.2 firmware and upgraded straight to 1.6 before I ever installed it. So I have no opinion on other versions. I am using the stock motors and ESCs from the AeroSky 550 RTF version.
Motors: 2212 OutRunner Brushless 920KV
ESCs: 40A Hobbywing SkyWalker

Thank you Leadpusher. I fired up my Hex tonight and found that the board still has the 1.2 firmware. I guess I just assumed since I just got it, it had the latest firmware. I am going to update it, then try some new settings. Any tips on reprogramming the board? I am going to watch a few youtube videos tonight.

I switched to KK2 because it is so simple to set up and use. I plan to go back to multi wii sometime in the future when I have more time to learn it. KK2 is the best to get up and flying quickly. If you need more features then KK2 is not for you. Good Luck