Patents

jes1111

Starting a discussion thread for patents on multirotor layouts (and related).

Currently I am aware of the following:

- Draganfly have a US and Canada patent on the Y6 layout
- AirRobot have a European patent on the Y6 layout
- A small UK university also holds a European patent on the Y6 layout (go figure!)
- Asctec hold a European patent on the H-layout (or V-layout as some call it) (any number of motors).

I have not heard of any of these patent holders yet issuing any injunctions against anybody else, although the AirRobot patent is very new so who knows? IMO only the Asctec patent would have any strength if challenged.

NOTE TO ADMIN: if we can raise the file size limit for PDFs to 1MB I can post what I've collected :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

Transferring some responses from another thread:

I have read the Asctec patent and it's not only the H or V shape that is patented but all shapes that allow a bigger field of view resulting from divergent arms.
this mean that even a quadcopter flying in X mode, an Y6, an hexa flying in X mode all these shapes are under this patent.

It can't be sustained because all these shapes have been seen flying long before asctec put a patent on it. If something is showed in a video or any public media you can't put a patent on it.

The Asctec patent may well imply all shapes, but the drawings demonstrate only their H-layout. As far as I am aware, they did invent that shape (i.e. there was no "prior art") - for that reason I believe they may be successful in defending their right to that layout.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The problem here is who's got the kahunas and the wedge to defend an action. Unfortunately the cost is down to the defendant if he fails. It does not cost to much to start the proceedings but to defend it is a whole new ballgame. You would have had to have some pretty expensive advice to defend a patent breach claim. I guess for guys making these in their spare time and for the love of it will not have the resources to defend any action taken against them.. wrong but that the state of affairs. I guess thats why the companies that can afford it lodge the patent knowing that the individual will not have the finances to defend an action against them.

I have been on the sharp end of an action and it aint pleasant or cheap even to back down at the first hurdle.

Dave

wittsworld

Interested in MC Patents Too - way to post your PDFs ?

Hey Jess
I'm interested in the whole patent thing for multicopters -- it's got me a little spooked.
Is there another way for you to share your PDFs of your patent searches?
Thanks,
~WW

Starting a discussion thread for patents on multirotor layouts (and related).

Currently I am aware of the following:

- Draganfly have a US and Canada patent on the Y6 layout
- AirRobot have a European patent on the Y6 layout
- A small UK university also holds a European patent on the Y6 layout (go figure!)
- Asctec hold a European patent on the H-layout (or V-layout as some call it) (any number of motors).

I have not heard of any of these patent holders yet issuing any injunctions against anybody else, although the AirRobot patent is very new so who knows? IMO only the Asctec patent would have any strength if challenged.

NOTE TO ADMIN: if we can raise the file size limit for PDFs to 1MB I can post what I've collected :)

matwelli

thsi is part of the reason i vid and youtube most of my ideas (the main reason is to share the sucess and failures :) so others can learn ), so that some comercial company cant come up with the same design and patent it