Part Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidenatt

Hey everyone,

I'm building my very first QuadCopter and was wondering if you guys could recommend some decent motors, ESC's and a flight controller?

I have been looking into the MultiWii Pro FC and am happy with the price, but I'm not sure if there is better on the market for under $100. As for the motors and ESC's, I have been looking at a few and am not sure what to buy, but I am willing to spend about $15-$20 each on them.

I plan on mounting a GoPro in the future and possibly a few other small components, but apart from that, I won't really be lifting anything too heavy but would like to have the power to do so if I can afford it.

Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

I am a newbee builder and have been for awhile. You will be doing some crashing in the early parts of the learning curve. The KK boards are very basic boards, very basic, vibration tolerant, and with their LCD/OSD they are relatively easy to set up, tune, and get you airborne quickly. The MultiWii's are more difficult to set up initially, but offer much more flight controll and programming options. I have a KK board. It works for me at this time. Since newbees tend to crash a cheaper motor is probably a better investment in the beginning. There are many motors available. Presently I am using Turnigy 2830-11 (1000kV) motors. My complaint about them is their long shafts which can bend (ever so slightly) upon crash impact. They work pretty well. Everyone recommends ESC's flashed with simonK. I fly with ESC's that have not been flashed yet. My quad (when weather permits and I am not crashing it) flies pretty well. I am using stock Turnigy Multistar 30A 2-4S ESC's. I have no complaints. I will flash them at some point. I am curious as to how much the performance will change when I do.
Same advise with the props. I would not go overboard in the beginning. You will be breaking a few in the beginning. There are a lot of opinions regarding balanced props. It can not hurt, some FCB's are real sensitive to vibration, but with some FCB's like the KK and in the very beginning of the learning curve it is not imperative. Not all props are created equal; some are just better balanced new out of the pack/box.

My $.02USD. I hope this helps.

Oh and BTW Welcome. :)

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Motor, ESC and battery recommendations are very dependent on what exactly you want to do, what frame you plan on using.

A bit more info will let people give decent advice.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.