Tau Labs OP Developers banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda sucks but I've been banned from the OP community after 2.5 years of heavy development. I guess that's what comes of not repeating the party line. Anyway, sorry you won't be able to get in touch with me there but you can try here. It happened to another developer too so I'm not sure quite how extensive the cutting has been.

The good news is there is a very healthy fork with quite a few of the OP devs that is a lot more focused on having a good time developing high quality software and a lot less on the hating people who use our software in new and exciting ways. We think this will lead to a much healthier and vibrant ecosystem. Maybe we'll call it outcast pilot. We have soem changes merged in and tested by some of the AP guys were getting really good results (and I have one of the Seismic gimbals so it's something I'll be focusing on) so hopefully this will work out best in the long run.

DennyR

James you are the one who has done the most in my eyes and it must be a blow to all OP users. Dankers must be impossible to work with. Hope it all works out in the end.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Kinda sucks but I've been banned from the OP community after 2.5 years of heavy development. I guess that's what comes of not repeating the party line. Anyway, sorry you won't be able to get in touch with me there but you can try here. It happened to another developer too so I'm not sure quite how extensive the cutting has been.

The good news is there is a very healthy fork with quite a few of the OP devs that is a lot more focused on having a good time developing high quality software and a lot less on the hating people who use our software in new and exciting ways. We think this will lead to a much healthier and vibrant ecosystem. Maybe we'll call it outcast pilot. We have soem changes merged in and tested by some of the AP guys were getting really good results (and I have one of the Seismic gimbals so it's something I'll be focusing on) so hopefully this will work out best in the long run.

James (it's James, right?)

I've been wanting to approach you about this for several weeks as we recently had an OP crisis and I received emails that things were not all happy in the OP kingdom. The thought of being thrashed by the OP zombie followers wasn't appealing to me at the time but I'd like you to know you've got my full support and I'll do whatever can be done to help. There's already an OpenPilot forum here so feel free to make it your new home.

There are a number of OP users here that would love to have your support so please get comfortable and we look forward to seeing what the future has for you.

Regards and welcomes,
Bart

kloner

Aerial DP
i need your help..... dam thing just throws my models on the ground but am afraid to say anything over there

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
post it in the OP forum Kloner, someone will help you out. i got your back on it.

Thanks for the support guys. Yep it's James! I'll probably be here more now :) I really want to get into AP stuff but always get distracted with the low level programming, but Rusty/Seismic's gimbal + cc3d is really nice so far.

It's actually a lot more messed up than I thought. They actually hijacked my account as far as I can tell. It doesn't show up as banned like it previously did, and I'm guessing someone is happily reading through my pm's.

There's nothing I care about people seeing but damn if that doesn't feel violating. Thank god I was concerned and used a throwaway password.

Edit: yep, I'm online now apparently

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

It will be good to have you here peabody, I have had endless problems getting my cc boards tuned to fly as nicely as I would like. The problems i have are mostly related to patience and a lack of knowledge etc. Once my current work load eases i will bug you with a few things. Mat Welly has tried to help and been great so between the 2 of you I will be able to work out why I have never been able to get my cc boards to fly really smoothly.

Great. There are some nice changes recently that get it flying better and a lot more level (credit goes to new developer cyr) and Cossacs has some improvements in the gimbal to port Les' feedforward to the Camera outputs which helped. We'll (the fork) likely release a new build fairly shortly.

Awesome post BART,

I do not have much experiences with OP, but thought it was really cool to see you reaching out and offering James your support.

There are many reasons that this is the most friendly and open forum on the net (IMO) . Bart, your doing an awesome job, and are always leading by example.

I really enjoy it here,

Welcome James, Ill be looking into the OP very soon. I have a friend that is doing some awesome things with it.

flitelab

Awesome post BART,

I do not have much experiences with OP, but thought it was really cool to see you reaching out and offering James your support.

There are many reasons that this is the most friendly and open forum on the net (IMO) . Bart, your doing an awesome job, and are always leading by example.

I really enjoy it here,

Welcome James, Ill be looking into the OP very soon. I have a friend that is doing some awesome things with it.

Well said and welcome James.

Yep. Well I gave a big chunk to the code and the community and the code lives on in another form. The community - well I'm sad to watch it get destroyed so rapidly. But I won't bring my gripes here and hopefully it's a happier place :)

SamaraMedia

James,

Sorry to hear about you being kicked out of OP! I was beginning to wonder what was going on since AlPakin (ED), who I met in Boston during your symposium at BU, was banned shortly after the new release of the CC3D. You were the one that provided me with my CC board and I am grateful for that. I was going to send you a message to see what was happening since I knew you were one of the early developers. I have been very pleased so far with my board and setup even though I have yet to take a flight in rate mode with my HT-HPV. Welcome and glad to have your voice here for those of us using OP.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

jforkner

i need your help..... dam thing just throws my models on the ground but am afraid to say anything over there

I had difficulty getting my CC3D board to work as I had hoped. It flew okay, but not as smooth as I wanted. And I missed the altitude-hold capability of the Naza. But I got a lot of help from users on the OP site. In the end, I sold my CC3D boards and went back to the Naza. I spent waaay too much time tweaking and not enough flying. I don't think it was the board, but the Naza is so much easier for me to deal with.

Jack

Thanks Gary for pointing this out. The tricks continue http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...orinchief_ama/
I just want to indicate this is NOT my account posting there and I don't have a reddit account. It's pathetic that some people that can't create would prefer to destroy. I'm not really sure of another place to point out this wasn't me. That definitely looks like someone else's familiar line of rhetoric.

Stacky

I had difficulty getting my CC3D board to work as I had hoped. It flew okay, but not as smooth as I wanted. And I missed the altitude-hold capability of the Naza. But I got a lot of help from users on the OP site. In the end, I sold my CC3D boards and went back to the Naza. I spent waaay too much time tweaking and not enough flying. I don't think it was the board, but the Naza is so much easier for me to deal with.

Jack

Jack,
I have spent a fair amount of time messing with my CC boards. I think the board is brilliant for those who want to tinker and experiment but for someone like me who just wants smooth stable flight without having to spend hours messing around with settings its just no good. I bought a KK2 board, put it in to a quad I had been trying to get to fly well with a cc3d for a while and it took me about 1 battery of adjusting to get to fly far better than my cc boards ever have. I was able to mess with the adjustments without having to hook up to a computer each time and it was so easy.

Im going to sell off the cc3d and cc boards I have, that coupled with all the silly drama is just a big turn off for the project.

The cc community all think its the best board around but for me its not even close. Ive given up on it. I was interested in the Revo but I am betting it is plagued by delays and drama as well. I want to fly, not spend most time messing with settings. I wonder if the CC community get that some people want to fly.

For what it is worth, more on topic. AlPackin actually made the comparison to Naza being easy to fly which was why we implemented the autotuning feature. Generally the results have been pretty positive for about 80% of the tests. Microquads and try copters don't seem to work as well with it. There was also a nice patch from Cyr which really tightens up the autoleveling. If anyone wants to try it you can find the build at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/phoenixpilot/nVcdLQZx4ro

However, I'm not going to dispute a lot of people have an easier time setting up KK from talking to people and are quite happy with how it flies. Not all of us feel like we have to disagree with people's opinions, I promise :)

Status
Not open for further replies.