One thread many questions!

Hello all!

I have owned/flown RTF quadcopters, now I want to build one. Pretty much a park flyer. I'd like to do FPV. I bought a kit from horizon that came with goggles camera etc etc but I haven't hooked it up yet. Adding camera weight (I have blade qx180 hd now that I fly without the included cam) really seems to drag my quad down. I'd like something nimble that I could race if I ever got that good. I can fly ok in stability mode (finally) but when I switch to accro LOOK OUT!!!

What is major difference between 250 and 285 (besides being a bit different size).
  1. Big increase in cost with 285?
  2. Any major advantages/disadvantages
FrSky Taranis X9D - Seems good. Brings up a question though.
  1. 9 channels? 4 to fly, 1 for flight controller mode, What the heck are the rest for?
  2. Is it possible to turn a go pro on/off from the remote?
Flight controller
  1. Modes: can a person have stability, accro, and loiter on a "race type" quad
What the heck is the "umbrella" looking thing that sticks up on some MR's?

I still have it in the back of my mind I should get something bigger (450?) but... price seems good with 250, and I love the group build that was posted for the 250.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think the major difference between 250 and 285mm would be possible prop size. Of course bigger props may require different motors as well.

The Taranis has far more than 9 channels. The possibilities are endless. But sadly, triggering the gooro is not one of them.

I think if you're looking for both race and stable characteristics/full functionality, you may be talking Naze 32 (not the acro version). That allows for GPS. The umbrella you are probably referring to is a GPS puck/receiver.

Alright. I think I have made up my mind. There sure is a lot of components.... I was an rc car guy growing up. Now all this camera stuff... Flight control... Tons of stuff... A bit overwhelming to get in to!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That's where the build thread comes in handy. Even if you choose a different frame/motor/esc etc, you can follow along and have it broken down into simple format. @Bartman is great at taking it slow and completely explaining the steps.

First thing to do is decide what you want to accomplish, how much payload you'll have and then start with the power train for decisions. Camera(s)/weight to be carried, Motors/props size, esc to handle the draw, battery to provide the power etc.