Noob minor mistakes - few Q's what to do

Booda

Been Lurking for while now, been ordering parts for my quad build. Read countless hours on here to point didn't understand anything once again. I ordered everything except for my battery and charger now and have few questions before start build. Just few dumb questions..... remember no such thing though right!!!

First off here is my build:

Turnigy 9x Transmitter (installed backlit display)
Hobbyking SK450 w/ deadcat conversion
Hobbyking Power distribution board (4x20Amp max)
KK 2.1.5 Flight Controller
Sunnysky x2212-13 980kv II : (non load: 10v/0.3amp --- max current 11.1v/17.2Amp w/11x4.5" prop
25 Amp PRO simonk ESC (quadrysteria) (25Amp continuous / 35 burst /
9x4.5" FC props

system is going to be 4S instead of upgrading from 3S later (looking at Zippy 3700 4S 25C/35C)

There is data chart for sunnysky motors here: http://www.quadrysteria.com/store/p1/SunnySky_X2212-13_980kv_II_Motor.html

My mistakes along way:

- Ordered 10cm servo wire EXTENSIONS, so had to reorder the 10cm servo wire male/male
- power distribution board for my 20 Amp esc for origional build, decided when ordering to get upgraded 25 Amp esc
- usbasp programmer ordered online (hk back ordered) but it is 10pin to 10pin cable which no biggie as use this for flashing my Turnigy for openx mod (LATER). Had to order an adapter for usbasp in order to flash kk board
- when ordering upgraded esc's had bullet connectors installed to plug into my PDB

Power distribution board will put away for sk450 standard build later date. But want to use power distribution wiring harness with deadcat just want to confirm wire gauge needed
Battery +/- going to be 12awg with xt60 connector
four esc's going to be 16awg with xt60 connectors
add leds later - 24 awg
will be running gopro (maybe OSD at later date) should i add wiring for this - if so what awg size to use

Questions:
Hope this makes sense but will this power distribution wiring harness work ok for my setup. Not quite sure what difference between PDB that has a max rating to it compared to harness

Esc has 3.5mm connectors - is it ok to cut off these (power distribution side of esc) to add xt60 connectors?

Also - want to mount kk2.1.5 in foam to frame what to use other then metal screws. I am not installing top plate from standard kit to save some weight

reciever ok to mount directly beside the kk board. I believe I have seen this on videos but wanna make sure ok to do so

That's all I can come up with for now, as mentioned read so much my brain just not retaining much anymore and need start fresh!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest not using the HK PDB. I had one fail and was quite disappointed when picking up the pieces of my smashed quad after the PDB failed in flight :).

Not sure why you'd have XT60 on the PDB side of the ESCs. You can either solder them directly to your PDB (hopefully a better one) or leave the bullets and solder your own "squid" for power distro.

If you are looking for an alternative to metal screws for mounting FC, you can get either nylon hardware or better yet, some rubber mounting bobbins that decouple some of the vibrations.

Mounting your Rx near the FC should not be an issue - but the more distance you get from any other electronics is always the best bet.

Have fun and fly safe!

Booda

Moto,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to run squid wiring as opposed to PDB. I am going to build standard sk450 for step son later. Was thinking running the PDB then....however as per your suggestion will just run squid then as well.

As for xt60 - had seen some wiring harness with them and already have xt60 connectors. I will just run bullets from my squid instead of having to change out the ones on my ESC already.

Is 12awg wire ok for running 4S system, or should I run 10Awg on my squid to the battery?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
12AWG should be fine. If you do the XT60 (from batt) to 3.5mm bullet breakouts to all ESCs you should be solid. Make sure you keep the squid power-ESC wires the same length.