Newbie with questions

AUsome

It seems the more I read, the more confused I get. There are no hobby shops where I live to provide much in the way of advice, so I am gonna have to do this from what I learn online. When I stumbled upon the DJI Vision promo video, I was hooked. I had NO idea that these things were so much more than the helos I see occasionally flying around a kiosk at our local mall. I've been trying to convince the wife to get me one of those for some time, but birthdays/Christmases pass and no RC Helo. But now that I have seen the Vision video, there is no going back. So, I was sure I'd be buying the DJI Vision when it becomes available, but now, the more I learn, the less sure I am if that is the one for me...or even if a RTF kit is right. There are other RTF kits out there that seem pretty cool. Or maybe I should build a copter from scratch? Quad/Hex/Octo??? Anyway, here is a list of questions I'm left with that are most important to get answered before I am able to really move forward. I'm hoping some will take the time to answer. They aren't in any order of importance:

1. Why choose quad over hex over octo? I would think that the more motors, the more forgiving if one were to fail in flight...or is THAT even true? More motors means more expense...that is about the only real fact I can be sure of.

2. I see lots of parts available on eBay, most from China. Stuff from China can be crap...some probably not. How can one know what is quality (cheap doesn't necessarily mean crap), what is not? Or should I only buy parts from US shops if I decide to build my own? Where I live there are no shops to buy in person from, so one way or another, I'm buying online.

3. I definitely want FPV and OSD and an on board camera, but haven't found any OSD that will allow me to use my Android phone (other than as promised buy DJI on the Vision). I see lots of OSD that uses iOS, but I've never been a fan of Apple phones (but would never give up my MacBook/iMac). I have nice Android devices (phones, tablets) that are HD with great resolution and would prefer not to have to spend money on a redundant screen with subpar graphics/resolution (which is what most of what I see on the OSD front seem to offer). So, is there OSD available that will allow me to use either my Android phone or tablet? If so, haven't found it yet. And, if it IS available, are there mounts to allow me to attach the device to the controller.

4. For FPV (ties into #3 I think): I want FPV, but should I get FPV that uses a dedicated lens, or get FPV that uses the on board camera (so far, I only know that Gopro will allow this. Still haven't figured out if you can shoot video/still shots at the same time you are using the camera to pilot the copter, or how much you can control the gopro once you have launched. Can you turn the camera on/off while flying...or switch from video to still while flying?

Whatever route I go with (dedicated or via onboard camera), what kind of range can the FPV provide versus the range of the copter itself?

5. The DJI Vision allows the camera feed to travel to the OSD (they are promising either iOS or Android capable)...but, are they saying what the range is of the feed versus the range of the copter? If the video feed cuts out before the copter reaches its end range, what happens? You have to fly it blind back home? Or at least use the autohome feature?

6. If I decide to build my own, if the answers to #2 above is to avoid the China electronics on eBay, what about the frames. I see quad frames that appear pretty nice quality for under $50...carbon fiber in the $100 to $200 range as you go from quad to octo. Not sure if I need to worry about carbon fiber tho. If I go with a cheaper non-carbon fiber, I think the way to go would be to buy 2 complete frames. That way you'd have spare parts as buying replacement parts might be a problem if parts break down the road. I mean, a complete frame for $35 (two for $70??)...I think if I break it so much that a complete back up for spare parts won't keep it flying, then maybe I need to reconsider my ability to pilot one of these). Comments on this approach??? Even if I bought the material from Home Depot and really built a frame from scratch, I'd be hard pressed to build a frame for under $35 or so.

7. Regarding the camera. I see that gopro is the most used, but also see the Sony Hex5 and 7 mentioned. I would assume that as long as you have the lift capability, you could mount pretty much ANY camera. But, again I come back to wondering how much you can control ANY camera once in flight, including the gopro/Hex's (other than the DJI Vision...where the video shows you have MUCH control over the built-in camera)...can you get anywhere near that type of control with any other camera).

8. Regarding the controller (first, is it the controller, radio, transmitter, or what is the preferred term, or are all interchangeable?): How MUCH of a controller should i buy? One thing I hate doing, is buying less and then later realizing I should have gotten more features. But, I don't want to buy the top of the line either, unless I will actually need all of its features. I guess what I am saying, is that I don't want to scrimp, but not overspend either. I have a decent budget for this, but not an unlimited one. So, I will save where I can as that is my approach to life in general.

Well, I am sure I could go on, but these are the key things that i think if I get answered, will help to point me in the right directions so I can filter all of the info that is out there, into appropriate direction so I can get flying sooner than later.

Cheers all...and thanks in advance.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
1. Quad is easier, grab a 450 quad to start with.
2. Plenty of online stores around that will give you what you need at reasonable prices. Ask here about everything.
3. Don't worry about FPV, OSD or a camera to start with, start with the basics and add as you go.
4. Separate FPV camera is best.
5. Worry about video later.
6. Just grab a 20-30 frame to get started, just go and fly.
7. Just get a GoPro.
8. Get a KK2 to start with, best $30 you will ever spend.

Pete