Newb here looking for insight and some advice on first build

shedhead22

NEWWWWWWB
First off i just wanted to say i'm sure there is a thread out there that is similar, but i just wanted some more insight.
After seeing a friends photos and videos that his multirotor took (it was an Iris) i became inspired to want to get one. After looking up prices, i looked at my wallet and became frustrated. Then i thought that it would probably be much cheaper to build one, which led me here. I would like some help on well just about everything. Whether its frames, batteries, ESCs, motors, props, and Rxs. I would like to mount a GoPro and eventually turn it into a FPV, but for now i want to build something that i can get used to, whether its flying or simply maintaining after I've crashed it, which will more than likely happen more than just once. I am somewhat tech savy, and I do know how to solder (my job entails me to know this). So are there any takers for helpin a newb out? I wanted to start with a hex, but then figured it was a little too much, so i will just start out with a quad for now. I'd like to know what i need and what brands have the best bang for your buck and also what sites are the best to order from. Thanks in advance :)
~Shed

jbrumberg

Welcome shedhead22. You did not mention any experience with multi-rotor piloting. These contraptions are not as easy to fly as you would imagine. It may be to your best advantage experientially and financially to get a "toy grade" trainer quad to get some experience flying and orientation skills. The skills you learn will be directly transferrable to the multi-copters you anticipate piloting. It is cheaper to crash and repair/replace a trainer than a fancier more powerful more expensive RC aircraft, and they are fun to fly as you learn to fly.

Just my $.02USD

Whatever you do good luck and fly responsibly.

shedhead22

NEWWWWWWB
well i didnt per say like the Iris build, i just liked the thought of being able to fly something up and have it hover and take pictures and videos of things that i couldn't while having my feet on the ground, and plus i like things that fly, hence being in the Air Force.

jbrumberg

A lot of people own and really like the Hubson X4. There is a huge following at rcgroups.com. You will have fun with this unit. They apparently are great trainers too.

There are two brands that you should look into Futaba and Taranis. I will say no more.

I am a throw back as to trainer quads and radio transmitters. Although I did recently purchase a Traxxas Latrax Allias, but that was symptomatic of my RC disorder:strawberry:

Gary Seven

Rocketman
so after deliberating, i think i'm going to start off with http://xaircraftamerica.com/collections/rtf-quadcopters/products/hubsan-x4-trainer-quad just to get the feel for multi rotors before i spend money on this stuff. but while i am doing this, i will probably also order http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=192 and start a build. any input on receivers/transmitters? (which seems to me to be the most expensive part of a good build)
~Shed

Shedhead, you will have loads of fun with the X4 but be careful when using outdoors in the wind. It is very small and light and even a very light wind will pull it away from you if you have it up high. It's very easy to lose orientation (front/back) and if the wind grabs it you could accidentally steer it away from you instead of towards you. Once this happens you can kiss this little quad goodbye. I have lost FOUR X4's in the last six months this way (of course it doesn't help that my distance vision is getting really bad).

Do you know you can get the X4 from Banggood.com much cheaper, right? But of course they'll take at least three weeks to deliver it. :-( Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: