Discussion New to quadcopters!

JLgti

Hey all! Been browsing though this forum for a bit and thought it's a good place to sign up and learn about my new hobby. So my wife got me a syma x8g for Christmas and I have to say I really like it. Seems to be new user friendly since I'm able to fly it around fairly decent for a beginner.

My brother in law has a drone of his own that he customized and I thought it looked complicating. I asked him about getting brushless motors for my syma drone and he doesn't know if that would work with mine. Any thoughts on this? Looking through some parts that would be needed in order for it to work properly, the price is high enough to where it be better off buying a new drone that's more powerful. I just thought it be a fun experience to do some hands on learning though.

Anyhow, looking forward to learning about drones from you all. Aside from modding cars, this seems like I could enjoy just as much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesb72

I definitely agree they are all toys, but I try to avoid 'toy grade' ie those which you cannot get spare parts for, so they are one crash wonders.

I consider 'model grade' anything you can get spare parts for, so pretty sure Syma qualifies, certainly Hubsan spares are easy to get hold of.

Re the Syma, pretty sure you won't be able to fit brushless motors as the ESC (motor speed controller) is built into the control board and only suits brushed motors, you can only upgrade motors where the ESC's are separate, but they would always be brushless these days anyway.

I'd say have fun with it as it is, and then get something faster/bigger when you outgrow it.

The US military would disagree that all drones are toys. Not to mention all the industrial uses. Some drones are professional tools, some are toys, some are beyond toys but used for pleasure IMO.

johnq816

You can use such kind of toy-grade drone to practice. And then you can go into the real drone when you think your skill is enough to handle it.