New to NAZA - I'm very tenative about making computer adjustments

hershey

Someday Finally Got Here
I'm new to quad flying. I have a F450 with NAZA and GPS. Dealer set it up for me and used my laptop to do it so my software is setup and the copter is set to fly manually Auto and GPS. GPS is set to for automatic orientation of the copter so direction isn't a problem.
I'm familiar and comfortable with the way it flys and reacts. Praise Uncle Don's in Palm Springs for their excellent help in the setup. But now that I'm no longer in the area I know I need to get my feet wet and try to further explore the many more options available to me in programing the NAZA. What I don't want to do is screw up what I have now. How do I proceed with caution and feel safe in what I do won't destroy what I already have?

hershey

Someday Finally Got Here
Yes an yes. While they go into great detail (about a hundred pages when printed? :upset: They don't give any info on how you actually setup, in my case, a Spektrum DX7s. I've watched Youtube videos, many of them are very well done and help a lot.
Now I'm not a stupid person, I've been successful in the years I worked, maybe my 72 year old mine isn't as sharp as I'd like to think because I don't see or read about anyone else having the reservations that I do when it comes to the programing. I've been able to program my DX7s by reading its manual and trial and error on RC planes (electric) and some needing pretty technical settings to fly correctly.
I guess I'm looking for a manual thats written differently than the NAZA manual. Of course none really tie the NAZA to a particular radio.
I'm thinking that it really isn't nearly as difficult as it appears to be, and once I dive into it, I'll achieve a positive outcome but I don't want to do that and risk messing up the great settings I already have.
I've spent hours and hours watching Youtube setup videos and reading pages and pages of feedback on this forum....BTW: I just stumbled onto this forum yesterday and have about 6 hours of reading behind me and much has been helpful.

Bowley

There is not too much to it really. what is you want to play about with. to be honest there isn't really that many options available with the Naza.
you have basic gains and auto level gains. enhanced failsafe mode and flight mode options. and also intelligent orientation control modes.
The Naza is not too sensative to gain changes and is good for a wide range so as long as you dont change them too drastically nothing untoward should happen.
I wouldnt make any changes over +/-20% at a time to any of the gains.
You have automatic orientation with GPS? Do you mean Intelligent Orientation Control

Hi Hershey,

You can plug the Naza into your computer and load up the dji naza assistant and press the 'read' button (near the top of the screen) to pull the settings from your craft into the software. You can then press the 'export' button to save the settings as a .naza file. This way you can feel more confident that you can't do any damage because restoring settings is as simple as pressing the 'import' button, selecting your .naza file and then pressing 'write' to load it back into your craft.

Hope that helps a bit

O

hershey

Someday Finally Got Here
Snip.....
I wouldnt make any changes over +/-20% at a time to any of the gains.
You have automatic orientation with GPS? Do you mean Intelligent Orientation Control
Yes, Thats exactly what I meant. See....I can't even speak the NAZA language. :)

hershey

Someday Finally Got Here
Yes. That helps a lot. Thats kinda the stuff I'm looking for. Thanks for pointing me into that direction. Then all I have to do is leave the present settings in my radio in a menu like F450-1. Copy it to a second menu option, rename it to F450-2 and then start all over in the naza assistant or even just copy the original file back to itself under a new name and go ahead and alter it to anything I want to try and save it to that new file name. Of course I'd have to re-bind my copter to the new menu screen number to do this but if all goes terrible, I just reload the original assistant file and go back to the F450-1 radio screen and re-bind and be right back where I am right now.
Darn....I hope that gibberish I just typed makes some sense, I guess you'll just have to trust me, I'm on a roll. Too bad I can't try it tomorrow...I'm going to a big AMA RC show in California. I've heard that there is a lot quad stuff there this year.
Thanks again to Bowley and owain_rich for some excellent advice.

Bowley

You dont really need to touch you radio, for adjusting your gains, you can ammend the settings you wish in naza assistant and click 'write' fly it, if you dont like and you want to go back to what you had before you can just load up the former coniguration that you saved. sometimes easier just to note down what your settings were before you start.
If it is all working well, you shouldn't need to adjust anything.
The options you have with Naza, gains aside, and you will have adjust radio settings, are:

flight mode settings...you can set Autoland or Return to home failsafe instead of manual if you wish. you do this by adjusting your assigned channel 'end point adjustment' and watching the slider on the assistant.

You select autoland or RTH by checking the enhanced failsafe box you wish to use. it means at the flick of your assigned switch you can land in a controlled manner wherever it is, (auto land) or it will climb to 60ft and automatically fly to the start position where you can regain control or land. (RTH).

IOC mode can be set to home lock or course lock I think you have one of those set up already from what you said. Intelligent Orientation control is basically where fwd is fwd, back is back, left is left and right is right and it does matter what direction the craft is pointing. I dont like this option myself and prefer not to use it but it can be helpfull if you lose orientation and dont want to use RTH.

Voltage protection 1st and 2nd level: you can adjust this, but if what you are using is working well, best not to touch it. its basically a red flashing LED warning to say that voltage is getting low( you no doubt already know this) and then 2nd level will move throttle midpoint up so that your MR lands gently.

if you have a good read of the literature it will give you an understanding of the basic terms and make it easier for people to help.

All the best

Steve

hershey

Someday Finally Got Here
I'm really not too concerned with adjusting my gains. Dealers settings seem to be just perfect from what I can determine. I'm more interested in adding RTH. Just RTH, not the RTH and auto land with radio off. Hope that makes sense.
I think that by saving what I have now and re-installing under a new name and menu location on my radio I can have the guts to try to program that feature in.
I have to say, the help you'all have given me has given me the confidence I needed to go ahead and attempt the change and the confidence to alter the settings in NAZA Assistant and my radio.
Thanks again.

glacier51

Hey Hershey:

I can send you a step by step Excel spreadsheet file outlining the setup for a DX8 if you like. I assume some near compatibility there with your DX7.

RTH can be done a couple of ways and if I read you correctly, IOC and Home Lock will bring your F450 back to you without auto land, etc. Or you can trigger a switched failsafe and take back control when your quad comes overhead.

Send me a PM and I'll email you the file.

I'm in Placitas by the way.

Ron

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
I'm really not too concerned with adjusting my gains. Dealers settings seem to be just perfect from what I can determine. I'm more interested in adding RTH. Just RTH, not the RTH and auto land with radio off. Hope that makes sense.
I think that by saving what I have now and re-installing under a new name and menu location on my radio I can have the guts to try to program that feature in.
I have to say, the help you'all have given me has given me the confidence I needed to go ahead and attempt the change and the confidence to alter the settings in NAZA Assistant and my radio.
Thanks again.

I have the old version of the DX7. If you have IOC setup set up on the gear switch, the only way I can figure out is to put RTH on a switch is to set it up on the throttle hold switch. Your going to need to make sure intelligent landing is turned on. Set your throttle hold to 40% throttle. Set the throttle hold pitch so the that the slider in the Assistant shows fail safe across the entire throttle range. When you turn the throttle hold on, the multi rotor will attain an altitude of 60', and will fly back home. When the MR descends, it will descend at a rate of 40% throttle. When the multi rotor lands turn throttle hold off, and the motors will cut off in 10 - 15 seconds.