Welcome To DroneVibes

DroneVibes is a COMMUNITY of drones enthusiasts. We are experts at drones for all professional and consumer applications. We welcome you to register and join the conversation.

New to Drone flying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Crash N' Burn, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Crash N' Burn

Crash N' Burn New Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Southern CT
    Posted by Crash N' Burn, Dec 18, 2017 #1
    Hello. I own a Hubsan h501SS and am having fun and challenges with it. I've been an FAA licensed pilot for almost 40 years and if I flew my airplane like I fly this drone I'd be dead long time ago...*s
    i started drone flying last winter when I bought an inexpensive Radio Shack "Accelerator" model when they were having huge going out of business sales. I was warned by the sales person that that model had no GPS so be careful and that the range was very limited. I subsequently watched my drone fly away on a gusty day over the tree tops and disappear. I ended up getting it returned to me since battery power was short and it crashed atop the roof of a nursing home. Luckily I had the smarts to list my name and cell phone number on the fuselage.
    In the meantime, I bought my Hubsan h501. What a cool and easy flying bird! GPS is well worth it and has helped bring her home on several occasions other than one mission I was flying that I knew I was too low but continued to descend.....right into an Oak tree at 29 meters up! That escapade cost me $80 to have a climber ascend and bring it down for me. I couldn't press the video stop button in time and now the video on the micro SD never finished completing so it appears as a broken link. There was a video somewhere in drone world describing the procedure on completing a busted vid link but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone send me that link? I appreciate it. On my 'To-Do' list is mounting an external 5.8g antenna and stripping the drone to it's bare shell to spray paint it fluorescent orange!
    Mike

Tags: