New stupid question

cootertwo

Say you have a quad, or a hex, and it's slightly drifting one way or the other, in GPS mode. Can you use the trims on your radio to try to even it out?
In atti mode ???
in manual mode ???
How about GPS "gain" ??????
I'm lovin this new hobby, but like many, there's lot's to learn.:tennis:

bensid54

Do you put it on level ground to initialize? That is one major cause of drifting I find. What do you have for a system you need to fill in the blanks for us.

QuadroPilot

Gain shouldn't be the problem and I wouldn't suggest manual mode. I'd def look into what bensid54 suggested and try it on level ground. If you've already done so, then yeah, we need more details.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I got a bad naza once that drifted to teh right no matter what I did. I could even shim the FC and nothing helped but to buy a new one.

Say you have a quad, or a hex, and it's slightly drifting one way or the other, in GPS mode. Can you use the trims on your radio to try to even it out?
In atti mode ???
in manual mode ???
How about GPS "gain" ??????
I'm lovin this new hobby, but like many, there's lot's to learn.:tennis:
To answer your direct question, no, with flight controllers you generally shouldn't use trim, at least not in GPS or attitude modes, and should try the imbalance that's causing the drift as bensid and quadro implied. However, it may also be an indication of gains needing to be tightened up a little. If the drifting is always in one direction, then it's an imbalance and calibration issue. If you just leave it in a hover and it drifts one way, then another, then it's a gains issue.

cootertwo

To answer your direct question, no, with flight controllers you generally shouldn't use trim, at least not in GPS or attitude modes, and should try the imbalance that's causing the drift as bensid and quadro implied. However, it may also be an indication of gains needing to be tightened up a little. If the drifting is always in one direction, then it's an imbalance and calibration issue. If you just leave it in a hover and it drifts one way, then another, then it's a gains issue.

Now that's the answer I was looking for. I didn't think it right to mess with trims while in GPS or att. And I know I have to tweak the gains up and down, to see what effects I get. How about manual mode? I think using the trim tabs would be the thing to do, if there is drifting one way or the other, with sticks centered, right ???? Just like with a plane or heli.

My Phantom seems to drift in GPS mode more than my DJI hex w/Naza-Lite. I have the hex tuned to a small toilet bowl wander, but the Phantom will sometimes wander off. But, I am in my back yard, and under trees, so my GPS lock comes and goes. I was just wondering about the trim thing. Figured I was right to not use in atti or GPS mode, but wanted opinions. Thanks Guys :tennis: Also, just was thinking, if someone did mess with the trim tabs of the transmitter, while in atti or GPS mode, there probably wouldn't be much effect, but I'll bet when you switch to manual, it would go berserk!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, you are correct. If the MR is nice and balanced out, it shouldn't drift in Manual mode unless there is wind. But since Manual mode is the closest thing to direct control to aircraft movement, trim is acceptable as you pointed out. The other two modes are computer controlled modes which is why it's best not to, but it will have an effect. Regardless, if you do use trim, be care when switching between modes as a little trim in each will have a different effect.
Keep those MRs flying! ;)

bensid54

"I am in my back yard, and under trees, so my GPS lock comes and goes" You answered your own question, the quad will drift in GPS mode while it searches for satellites to lock onto. If I fly mine in a steel building in GPS mode it will wander all over the place or keep heading in one direction.