New Phantom, never flew yet, got big question

In the get started DJI video, Colin says to turn the throttle down before inserting battery, but my throttle returns to center. But in the video Colin's stick stays pointed down. I am afraid to plugin the battery with my stick in the middle and the copter takes off to the moon.
icon_e_surprised.gif
Please help this very new green guy so I can start having fun. Also would anyone recommend plugging into the PC (software) to make sure that all is properly calibrated first or is it not necessary at this point? Thanks for you help. Please share any other pre flight first flight tips.

CrashMaster

What mode is your transmitter (TX)?

If you pull the throttle stick down it should stay there. However I have seen advertised, spring parts for phantom TX to make the throttle centre like the pitch and roll. This may be a new safety feature so if in a panic you just let go of everything in GPS mode the craft will just stop where it is and hover.

Also the motors will not arm until you hold both sticks down and out or in. Having the throttle half mast while putting the lipo in is not good practice but if they are now including this, safety feature, with all their transmitters then go with it.

Found the link to the Upgrade:-
http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/DJI-Phantom-Spares/Phantom-Spring-Centered-Throttle/p-199-2557/

View attachment 15031

Attachments

• 2557.jpg
    2557.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I have my tx throttle stick at center, makes it's easy to stay in a stable hover and if I have a heart attack or start swatting a fly the aircraft will just stay there. With the Naza and Wookong you have to do a CSC to start anyway. And Spektrum also has safestart so it won't go to full throttle at power-up (although you don't have a Spektrum tx so ignore that).

I think you'll be fine. I would recommend looking at the assistant first to get to know what does what and check basic settings.

Cool?