New F550 hits the skies

Gambrinus

I just finished my F550 and have been bonding in the very limited space of my front yard and street. Thanks to all who taken the time to post great videos and answer questions from us first timers, I for one could not have done it without you. I have a little trouble distinguishing the orientation when there is a little distance between us, I need to put some lights on there so I can navigate. I'm thinking maybe a headlight and red and green for the sides.

Next step for me is to is to install the telemetry module and pick out a gimbal for a gopro.

Gambrinus

Yeah, you're right. I tried to take a short video but since I was trying to fly and video at the same time I couldn't get one I thought worthy enough for a first flight video. My wife will be home in a few days, I'll have her film the (almost) historic event.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
White arms? Black arms? Red arms? They all look the same to me against a bright sky.

I tied short pieces of pink plastic surveyors tape on the bottom of my back two arms. They flap in the down draft, catching the light, and give you a great visual reference.
BTW: If you do this don't make the tapes long enough to get into the rotors. At first I had 6 inches hanging, figuring that the rotor wash would always push the tape down. Well, 3rd flight at about 40 feet it made an awful noise, a piece of pink tape fluttered down, but the 550 never bobbled. Coulda been worse...

Paul7060

I run LED lights on round end of the booms . Two front booms Red on Red / Green on left hand side boom / Blue on right hand side boom / and White on the two rear booms.

Gambrinus

Very nice, thanks! there is a lot to choose from, I'm leaning toward the aircraft strobe lights but I will add an auto headlight so I don't have any doubt as to where the front is. I was thinking about a second battery for the lights and gimbal.