New CONNEX "mini" Zero-Latency Wireless Compact HD Video Transmission!!!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hey guys, I was fortunate enough to snag a brand new Connex Mini!
It's 1/2 the size and 1/2 the weight of the OG Connex, but you get 1/2 the distance.
But that distance is STILL baller and more than most would ever need!

Check out the specs!

Amimon Introduces the all new CONNEX mini Zero-Latency Wireless Compact HD Video Transmission Solution Extends Popular CONNEX Offering with New Compact, Lightweight Plug-and-Fly Transmission Solution that Retails for Only $1,299 MSRP San Jose, CA (January 21, 2016) –

Amimon, the industry leader in HD wireless video transmission solutions for the professional video and broadcast markets, today introduced its new CONNEX mini high-performance wireless HD video link for the growing number of smaller, lighter aerial drones. CONNEX mini delivers full HD video quality, zero latency, digital transmission reliability, encrypted transmission for live and sensitive shots, and multicasting functionality at distances up to 1,600 feet (500 meters). CONNEX Mini is currently available at the attractive MSRP of $1,299.

I'll be getting into this guy and getting it in the air shortly, and I'll post some findings here for ya!
I LOVE the OG Connex, but unfortunately mine was stolen along with one of my X8's earlier in the year after a gig, so I am super pumped to get this guy installed and flying!

View attachment 27330

View attachment 27334
View attachment 27333

Attachments

• connex.jpg
    connex.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 501
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 3.53.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 3.53.46 PM.png
    382.8 KB · Views: 534
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 3.53.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 3.53.36 PM.png
    580 KB · Views: 492

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I just got the answer and it is no they re not compatible. But it looks like I was late with the answer!
The WEATHER sucks this weekend.. hope to get this system flying very soon. Worst case I'll set up a base station and drive a camera away in a car to check distance. :D

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Ok guys, I had some time to open this guy up and start taking a look. Immediate things that are awesome. The size and weight! It's TINY! half the size of the original Connex. And here's a big one... NORMAL RMA antenna attachments on the transmitter! One of my biggest complaints of the first Connex was that once you attached the antennas, you were hard pressed to remove them without possibly breaking the attachment point. Also the mini is truly ready for multi rotor work. Both the TX and the RX come with Battery inputs with XT60 connectors. This is HUGE! Also, the TX has a mini HDM port, so it should be easy to find a Male/Male mini HDMi lightweight cord to go from most cameras. Oh wait, they included one!

I'm going to get the mini set up on one of my X8's or maybe even my "test" rig and get in some testing as soon as the weather allows, or if it looks like winter may be here for more than a few days, I'll strap this on to my Movi M5 and do a long range handheld test... either way I'll have a report soon. Until then, here's some shots of this guy. I have to say I'm pretty stoked so far!

The Box:
View attachment 27357

Here's what you find when you open the box:
View attachment 27358 View attachment 27359 View attachment 27360 View attachment 27361 View attachment 27362 View attachment 27363

The TX antennas WITH RMA Attachments!
View attachment 27364 View attachment 27365
View attachment 27366

All the cables and attachments that come with the Connex Mini:
View attachment 27367 View attachment 27368

The Connex Mini Transmitter:
View attachment 27369
View attachment 27370 View attachment 27371 View attachment 27375

The Connex Mini Receiver:

View attachment 27372 View attachment 27373 View attachment 27374

Everything you need to put on your rig for a standard Install:
(optional "control plugs not attached, but are included)
View attachment 27376

The Connex Mini next to a normal 5.8 Ghz TX.
View attachment 27377

Testing coming soon!

Attachments

• Connex-1.jpg
    Connex-1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 380
  • Connex-2.jpg
    Connex-2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 348
  • Connex-3.jpg
    Connex-3.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 385
  • Connex-4.jpg
    Connex-4.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 411
  • Connex-5.jpg
    Connex-5.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 368
  • Connex-6.jpg
    Connex-6.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 518
  • Connex-7.jpg
    Connex-7.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 399
  • Connex-8.jpg
    Connex-8.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 352
  • Connex-9.jpg
    Connex-9.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 396
  • Connex-10.jpg
    Connex-10.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 384
  • Connex-11.jpg
    Connex-11.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 363
  • Connex-12.jpg
    Connex-12.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 351
  • Connex-13.jpg
    Connex-13.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Connex-14.jpg
    Connex-14.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 368
  • Connex-15.jpg
    Connex-15.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 370
  • Connex-16.jpg
    Connex-16.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 532
  • Connex-17.jpg
    Connex-17.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 445
  • Connex-18.jpg
    Connex-18.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 489
  • Connex-19.jpg
    Connex-19.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 528
  • Connex-20.jpg
    Connex-20.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 494
  • Connex-21.jpg
    Connex-21.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 613
  • Connex-22.jpg
    Connex-22.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 442

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
A review, I developed a relationship with Connex over the last few years. Posting my opinions on several forms of social media for them.
(not the evil ones :D )

fdproductions

FD Productions
Sleepy,

How does this new unit compare to the LB2? Have you checked it out yet, anxious to see how both perform on a film set rather than the real world... Can't afford both but do like the weight on this one

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have never used a LB2. And I recently just found out that the LB2 is not locked to using a DJI FC, so I find that interesting. I just set this guy up on my X8 last night and did a test in the house, and it's FAST. like un-noticable latency, just like the orig Connex.

I can say the Connex Mini next to my Inspire 1 Pro, the latency is MUCH less, like the I1 is SLOW, and its a pro so I think that has the new LB tech...

The weather is turning to crap again, so if I can't get this in the air soon, I'll just do a handheld gimbal distance test. But the size of this guy is much better suited to multirotors than the first one, mounting it directly to the gimbal so there are no wires to get tangled in a 360 pan situation is awesome!

View attachment 27411

Attachments

• rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 381

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
And BTW, if you use Futaba SBUS, the Corona R6FA-SB Sbus FASST receivers from HK, rule. They are like $33 are awesome. Save almost $100 off a Fut one. Works perfectly. Took .5 seconds to bind.

Pumpkinguy

I would expect half the range to equal half the price. 20% savings wouldn't interest me one bit. If I invest in connex I will get the full one.

fdproductions

FD Productions
I have never used a LB2. And I recently just found out that the LB2 is not locked to using a DJI FC, so I find that interesting. I just set this guy up on my X8 last night and did a test in the house, and it's FAST. like un-noticable latency, just like the orig Connex.

I can say the Connex Mini next to my Inspire 1 Pro, the latency is MUCH less, like the I1 is SLOW, and its a pro so I think that has the new LB tech...

The weather is turning to crap again, so if I can't get this in the air soon, I'll just do a handheld gimbal distance test. But the size of this guy is much better suited to multirotors than the first one, mounting it directly to the gimbal so there are no wires to get tangled in a 360 pan situation is awesome!

View attachment 27411
Nice! The pro still has LB1 unfortunately, I'm attracted to the LB2 because of the picture-in-picture capabilities and will most likely go with that, since its so much smaller now and not FC dependent I'll use it on my ronin, ronin m also. Thanks for letting us know about this set-up though!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
@SleepyC So this means it could be used with a SuperX?

I tried finding that receiver at HK with no luck, would this work instead?
FrSky TFR4 SB 3/16ch 2.4Ghz S.BUS Receiver FASST Compatible - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...h_2_4Ghz_S_BUS_Receiver_FASST_Compatible.html

Ooops, search on site didn't work but I did find the one you mentioned after all. Opinion on the FrSky?

Thanks,

Here ya go.. I was wrong too. it's $23!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Compatible_S_BUS_Receiver_AR_Warehouse_.html

or the other warehouse:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Compatible_S_BUS_Receiver_US_Warehouse_.html