New at this. Need help with selecting Transmitter/Receiver/Battery/Gimbel

DWB

I'm new with multicopters and need help selecting transmitter, receiver, battery, and gimbel for Gopro hero 3.
Could one of you guru's please help me. So far I purchased DJI F550 and Naza M GPS. I don't want to spend
more than 400.00 for all items if possible. Thanks in advance.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
For all the items you mean the items you listed above excl. the DJI stuff you already bought ?

Boris

DWB

Hey Boris. Thanks for your reply. Yes you are correct. I have already purchased F550 kit and Naza m GPS. I now
need to find a Transmitter, Receiver, Battery and 2 axis gimbel for A Gopro.

flitelab

Where are you located, you location can be helpful for recommendations.

The Quadframe.com gimbal is a nice setup for a GoPro. Works well with the landing legs that fit the F550. I sell them in Canada but you may want to get direct if you are in EU.

flitelab

Quadframe.us is their US based store so they may be able to help you if you go that route for a gimbal.

mailman35

do you even know how to fly? if not i would hold off on a gimbal for quite a while, as you need to learn how to control the craft in the air before putting a worthless camera on it and breaking everything. (which is funny ) but not the intended effect.

DWB

When I master the controls which camera would you suggest. If gopro is worthless. I guess that's what you meant.

flitelab

When I master the controls which camera would you suggest. If gopro is worthless. I guess that's what you meant.

All depends on your end goal. Are you looking to do professional level AP/AV, personal AP/AV, just FPV? What sort of end quality and use do you have for the video and photos? What sort of budget?

You could use anything from an SD keychain cam through to a Red One, all depends on your wants and needs?

JCNH

DWB,
Flitelab absolutely hit the nail on the head. First, fly what you have and understand what your limits are and what your comfort level is. Then, figure out what you really want to do with the setup. The first time you put $1,000 + worth of video equipment up on an F550 you'll be happy that you put so much fly time in.
I wasn't aware of this forum prior to starting my obsession and threw a bunch of money out the window by trying stuff, not really being happy with it and then upgrading. Had I really spend the time prior to buying, I would have saved a bunch of frustration, cash and time. Based on the experience of some of the folks in this forum you will get some great recommendations on equipment but THEY do not know what YOUR goals are. If you want a record of where you flew and some fun video then the GoPro may be fine for you. If you really want some quality pictures you probably wont be happy with the GoPro and an inexpensive Gimbal. I'm also flying an F550 but with a Wookong M and I've added some extensions to the arms so I could bump up the motors and Props. I've had good luck with the Spectrum DX8. I picked up an inexpensive gimbal and I've been modifying the heck out of it so I could get better and smoother movement.

Best of luck.
Jim C.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
We have to base this on what DWB already has and i guess he is down the road with f550 set. So there are boundaries to what you can lift with the F550 even after replacing motors and other mods. I woulnt be concerned about any gimbals cams at the moment ! Get it in the air and than consider later. The new Gopro3 is coming out soon and it might just cover all that you need.

Most gimbals in the price range you are aiming at are nice to have but the question is really what the benefit is ! If you got your bird nicely dialed in and are happy with calm hovering and filming you will do without a gimbal and probably get better results ! A lot of time gimbals in combo with whatever stabi just worsen the outcome by not leveling correctly anyways, only doing half the job by correcting disturbances etc. and might cause jitters due to servos or a mechanical issue which overall won't make you happy !

It might be that you really get into this than you will want a different setup probably. What is professional AP/AV work. Taking pictures of roof tops for an insurance and getting cash for it you is the beginning, shooting a commercial is the other end. But until you are there you will have changed you setup a couple times anyways !

I would go for a 3 switch at least radio maybe a DX7s

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM7800

you have a three switch for the three flight modes and a knob to tune the gains !

Of coarse you can go with the cheaper DX6i but its just more of a hassle and you will switch your radio first thing if you buy another copter !

Probably the best all-round radio also for further setups or degrading it as a cam remote. Is the futaba T8fG but more pricy than the others ones !
Advantage ist also that the receiver has s-bus which allows a cleaner and more easy setup of failsafe for the DJI FCs. In the case of the spektrum radio
you will get a receiver that has to be connected in the traditional way. 1 channel equals one wire etc.

Batteries I think you can go along with zippy or nano techs or whatever you can your hands on in the states on the same price range and quality. 4s 5000 mAh or 6000 mAh should be a
good approach for the f550 setup but check on that again never tested a f550 setup. You will also need a charger, one thats capable of doing a balanced charge !

One more thing about the gimbal if you find one that cheap and can also be used without servos so strapped down and hard mounted than go for that. Eventually your aim should be for the Gopro 3. Yes you can get the f550 up in the air with a canon etc.
but the question is if you will be happy about the flight times with a adequate gimbal etc.

Best make up you mind which quality you are aiming at and keep in mind the you are limited with the f550 frame. Trying to achieve to much with it could be a waste of cash that you could have invested in the next gear, or could have kept it simpler and
would have reached better results than trying to overkill it.

Boris

DWB

Thanks Jim and flitelab very good information. It's good to learn from others with experience and not make expensive mistakes.

Thanks again
David

DWB

Wow. You guys amaze me with the time you spend to help others achieve their goal.
Thanks for the help Boris. Currently this only a start to have a little fun and learn a new skill.
Once I'm comfortable flying my f550 and want to mount a go pro hero 3 would the gimbel you
Offer be a good choice? I looked at your website and liked what I saw

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
HI DWB,

must be a misunderstanding :) If you reached my website you will only see real-estate projects but no gimbals :) I just a hobbyist and not selling any MR gear. But post a link of the gimbal you were thinking about so we can comment on it.

Boris