New 4k Lumix camera released

tombrown1

I'm trying to figure out how the GH4 is better than the LX100. LX is what, half the price? Amazing specs for tiny weight.

Canon had a bunch of big announcements like the new 7d also, but still no 4K.

Also check out the new Samsung camera - specs are completely off the charts, but everybody is worried because Samsung is brand new to the game. A little heavy, but looks like it may have the good stuff of the GH4 plus hopefully some better dynamic range.

Last edited by a moderator:

Filthy

The GH4 is an interchangeable lens mirrorless DSLR that offers many other options regarding available resolutions like true DCI 4K as well as UHD which this cam will do. Plus the option of several other framerates. And the option to record 422 10bit color data externally. But if you need something to mainly shoot aerial and mostly semi wide, this fixed lens alternative seems to be a very nice possiblity. Lighter and more compact is also a nice bonus. There are a couple of 4k sample shots in this overview from B&H:

tombrown1

GH4 is Micro 4/3, right? LX100 records UHD I believe. 10-bit is a nice option.

Is anybody flying GH4 with an external recorder though?

Filthy

Yes - GH4 is m4/3. LX100 does do UHD and initial samples floating around the web look nice. And for web delivery, UHD downsampled to 1080 looks pretty damn good to my eye. Regarding the external recorder, I was just mentioning that for those of us that use the cam in other setups (i.e. studio, green screen, etc.). I think the Ninja Star is the only thing out now small enough to fly with. But not sure it can record the 4k. Have to wait for the Shogun for that. The direct to Prores is a nice option to smooth workflow for 1080 work though.

SamaraMedia

The GH4 is an interchangeable lens mirrorless DSLR that offers many other options regarding available resolutions like true DCI 4K as well as UHD which this cam will do. Plus the option of several other framerates. And the option to record 422 10bit color data externally. But if you need something to mainly shoot aerial and mostly semi wide, this fixed lens alternative seems to be a very nice possiblity. Lighter and more compact is also a nice bonus. There are a couple of 4k sample shots in this overview from B&H:

Filthy,

Thanks for the link to review. Two things I noticed, at the :32-:39 second mark with the wind blown sunflower background looks nice and slightly out of focus but at the 6:13 mark, watch the depth of field change on the car at the left of the frame and the sunflowers to right. It is most noticeable when viewing in fullscreen and likely not a huge concern while doing AP or AV work since the main subject will not be that close to the camera but wondered if other thought that to be a problem. Second, being a zoom and not fixed lens we will need to have a gimbal that allows for adjustability if and when you zoom out. The 24-75 focal length may be a bit restricting as well, would like to have something a bit wider but that is nit-picking for the price and value offered.

Efliernz

Pete
I was getting ready to buy the RX100 M3 (I had a M1 but smashed it onto the road under the copter 2 years ago) and then THIS arrives. Back to thinking again. I don't have an immediate need so I'll wait for one of you to buy it first!!!

Pete

Mactadpole

I don't see a way to remote trigger this camera besides with a wifi enabled app or manual servo driven button pusher. Am I just overlooking it?

Thanks, Shawn

tombrown1

Why do you need remote trigger? It should have a time lapse function for photos, and just let the video run while recording.

Mactadpole

I mostly do mapping work and need to trigger the camera at preset waypoints or distances using DroidPlanner missions. I would also like it as a general use camera for pretty aerial pictures and video so no remote is really needed for that. Anyone have an answer to the original question?

Thanks, Shawn

Why do you need remote trigger? It should have a time lapse function for photos, and just let the video run while recording.

remote is the big question
they say that the usb is some sort of multiusb
it sees it can also be controlled by a pc over usb

remote control would be really cool for the zoom lens and focus
I really hope this can be done

to bad it has crippled slowmo quality
but I think this one will repalace my beloved Pocket camera in November

jfro

Aerial Fun
Kloner, does this imply that you shot this on the LX100?
Do you get a little nervous flying near all those panels? I'm guessing they are not cheap.

If so, what are your impressions?

I'm guessing if the quality is pretty good coupled with the weight of under 400g, this will be a great aerial camera. I see it even has an NTSC output saving more weight and equipment.

Filthy

Kloner - I'm interested in learning details about the vid you posted. I thought HDMI was crippled for anything except playback on this cam. How were you framing? And was this shot UHD 30p? Smoke / steam coming from top of building looks super weird. Was the shutter speed set really high? I gave up on this cam for aerial but your post is making me reconsider.