Need video goggle recommendation!!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Good morning world o' multi-rotor people,
I was just at a job trying to shoot a home that is going on the market and I couldn't get my video goggles to work. Rather than continue to wrestle with them I need to replace them.
What are the absolute best quality video goggles presently on the market?
Thanks for the help.
Bart

Bartman

thanks Crash!

I bought these not too long ago but they just don't work from one day to the next. Some days they're perfect, other days they're crap! Today I'm getting nothing. I think they're just too flimsy for what I'm using them for.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?34-Hybrid-flight-goggles

Gotta buy something this morning and have them shipped overnight so I can be back in the air tomorrow afternoon. My wife may ride shotgun today with the video monitor I have and she'll direct the photography while I fly but the house I'm trying to shoot only has early morning light so by now it's too late. The weather's perfect!!! Argh!!!

Kilby

I've only ever flown with the Fat Sharks, but I can't recommend them enough. I'm thrilled with my purchase.

Bartman

kilby, is it difficult to move the fatshark's down on your nose so you can look over them? which version do you have?
thanks,
bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
kilby, is it difficult to move the fatshark's down on your nose so you can look over them? which version do you have?
thanks,
bart

Yes, I have the basic Fatsharks and trying to look over them is totally impractical, for me anyway. Just about any decent set of goggles is going to limit you to the view you see on their screens, probably the best thing to do is take off with the goggles on your head, get the MK in position more or less, engage P/H and A/H, pull goggles down over eyes, get the shot(s), remove goggles and land.

Got your message BTW, was on a conference call, busy catching up from last week's trip to Texas...

Ken

P.S. I've found the set of the same goggles you have to be of limited usefulness though they have worked each time I've attempted to use them.

Bartman

what ever happened with the interference issues you were having with them?
thanks,
bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
what ever happened with the interference issues you were having with them?
thanks,
bart

Cabling, seems they only like to work with the supplied cables. When I hookup any of the AV cables I use for the Fatsharks they go crazy as soon as the motors spool up, switch back to the cable that came in the box and everything works again. Only thing I can figure is its either an impedance or shielding problem, one of these days I may get over to the local electronics supermarket and pickup some jacks and shielded twisted pair cable to see if I can make a longer cable that will work, for now I either just deal with the short cables or switch to the Fatsharks and use long cables.

Ken

Bartman

so it may be my simple four wire cable and plug allowing RF interference into the video stream??
it's amazing that of all the technical difficulties it takes to make a system like this operate i'm still being grounded by simple issues. I say it again, argh!!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
so it may be my simple four wire cable and plug allowing RF interference into the video stream??
it's amazing that of all the technical difficulties it takes to make a system like this operate i'm still being grounded by simple issues. I say it again, argh!!

Yup, try it again with original cables and I think you'll find they work fine...

Bartman

ken,
would a wrap of aluminum speed tape or duct sealing tape shield the wires like the wrap in coax does?
thanks,
bart

Bartman

just wrapped my cable with aluminum air conditioning tape. let's see if it works, eh?
if it does, Ken can be promoted to site moderator. :):):)

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
ken,
would a wrap of aluminum speed tape or duct sealing tape shield the wires like the wrap in coax does?
thanks,
bart

In this case I don't think it's that simple but if you have some you could try, don't be surprised if it makes no difference...

Bartman

no change. i think part of my problem is that the central body of the myvu goggles is flimsy and I suspect that the buttons have stopped working as I can barely see the image but can't make it any brighter. i'm getting nothing from the buttons.
oh well.
i'll try the fatsharks and just figure out a way to make them work. thanks anyway.
bart

Kilby

thanks,
bart

Bart, it is not the easiest thing to pull them down your nose like that. Personally, I try to fly 100% in the goggles including landing & taking off. For me, I start to get confused if I switch between goggle & normal views. Just the differences in lighting can be enough to make me loose sight for a few seconds. When I have those FatSharks on and I am completly "inside" the tricopter, the last thing I want to do is take them off and be blinded by the bright sunlight. It's that reason exactly that I am training the fiance to be my spotter. ;-)

Kilby

I think those are what crash started out with for his FPV build? Seems like a lot of light can get in around the sides.

Crash

Defies Psychics
I think those are what crash started out with for his FPV build? Seems like a lot of light can get in around the sides.

Bart, Those are wonderful Goggles. :rolleyes: Wanna buy a set in perfect condition for half price.;)