Need help from radio experts

I am in talks with a contractor that installs equipment on NAVY ships and they need photos taken of their installations. The jobs would require me to fly at varying distances from their installation and to take still photos for them. I have already done a demo for them at there building and they would like to move the process forward. There are many safety issues to consider with a job like this, but one of my biggest concerns revolves around the radio communications and radar on board the ships. What effect will a radar sweep across my aircraft have? I may be operating near a naval base and even though they might be able to shut down electronics on the subject ship, there may be other ships in close proximity with ongoing operations.

If anyone here has experience working around these types of operations, I would appreciate your input and advice.

What do I need to be telling/asking the contractor and officer in charge?

Thanks,

Tim

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Here are some of the radar frequencies that are in use. Generally these are in the microwave bands which can be high energy. At very close range, over an extended period of time it is possible to become sterilized and/or become blind.
http://www.radartutorial.eu/07.waves/wa04.en.html

The only impact I experienced with electronics was hearing a whooping sound from my car am/fm radio when approaching an over the horizon radar system while travelling in northern Saskatchewan (the radio was off at the time)!!!!

Your MR proximity to the radar transmitter will make a huge difference since the radiation dissipates with radius in accordance with the inverse square laws of physics.
Energy amplitude can increase approximately 1 x 2(power 4) = fold when approaching at close range.
On the otherhand the energy dissipates rapidly by 1/2(power 4) when leaving the energy source.

So.... distance is your friend!

Electro 2

If your AC is "in beam" of the shipboard radar, the "frequncies in use" won't matter. The flight electroncis will be blasted with extremely high energy RF at the multi-kilowatt level. Electric field densities will be OMG high. Could easily cause any number of untoward issues with hobby-grade gear. I'd say (to them) no radar sweep or radio como when your up anywhere close to the sticks/domes. Will take some coordination, for certain, but the interruption will only be minutes at a time, which they should be able to live with.

gtranquilla and Electo 2, thanks for the replies and info. I agree that the radar and communications will need to be shut down during flight operations. My talking with the contractor indicates that this is fairly normal procedure when servicing is being done. I think that maybe a test flight with a cheaper, more durable quad may be in order before flying the camera rig.

Thanks again.