Need advice on how to finish a quadcopter

squarjn

I'm in the process of building my first quadcopter. So far I have something that can 'fly' if I send serial input through a wire from my laptop to the arduino on board, but as of yet I don't have a transmitter/receiver or any sort of flight software/sensors working.

I got one of these from ebay. It's a gyro/accelerometer board and a magnetometer that mounts onto an arduino. I have it assembled and it works- as in I've run basic scripts I found online for it which print out various sensor readings (they don't include the magnetometer, so I don't know if that works or how I can get it to work). It looks like although these sensors are somewhat widely used, there isn't much documentation available on them from the manufacturer. I would be willing to buy something else to use instead (like a flight control board) if I really have to, but I thought I would try this first because I would end up with a better understanding of how the control board works, and since it's only $15 no big deal if it doesn't work out.

My goal is to move from this to a working quadcopter, but I'm not sure where to start. I don't know how I'm supposed to use the data I get from the sensor to auto level the copter. I imagine that eventually, after extensive research, I could modify the code I found to take the data it collects and adjust the current to each motor by just the right amount to keep it balanced. But that sounds like it would involve weeks of studying the device and the code and trial-and-error testing. I feel that I'm missing something, that there's an easier way to do this than I can see.

I don't expect an easy solution, but could someone tell me generally what steps I need to take from here, what types of things I have to know and research in order to get a finished product? Thanks in advance. :tennis:

Maybe I'm clueless, but am I understanding that you got a basic arduino board with gyro/accel sensors, but no software for controlling the quad? Flight Controller software is no easy task, neither is interfacing with gyros and accelerometers.
I know APM is based off of the Arduino processor, but I don't know enough about that software to know if it works generically on any HW and sensor suite or not. I have one friend that says probably not.
Did I totally miss your question and what you are looking for?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
squarjn
you posted in the wrong forums area...you should have put it in the DIY hardware/software area. what you bought are sensors and you'll need the whole board and software to make it all work. it doesn't sound from your post like you're up to the task of making a useable flight controller from basic components (no problem, most of us here couldn't do it if we had to, we'd all be back flying planes and single-rotor heli's!!). If you need an inexpensive flight controller you can get the KK2 blue board from hobbyking for about $30. there are other options but at least the KK2 is a complete system in that it is a flight controller and the required firmware/software to make it run.

give it a look, they work ok and you'll be on your way.

bartman.

thanks for chiming in PPWB