ND Police get Drone/Taser Authorization

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
No indication yet as to who decides to launch the taser, the officer or the drone

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3050483/...egally-zap-citizens-with-drone-mounted-tasers

North Dakota Police Now Can Legally Zap Citizens With Drone-Mounted Tasers

Shocking news.

North Dakota police will now be able to chase down a suspect and drop them with a taser, all without leaving the comfort of their cruisers. A new bill legalizes the use of "less than lethal" weapons with drones. That means not only drone-mounted tasers, but also the possibility of pepper spray, rubber bullets, and anything else that isn’t actually designed to kill people.

The state's House Bill 1328 wasn’t intended to promote drone weaponization. It was originally drafted by Representative Rick Becker to require warrants for drone surveillance but, according to the Daily Beast, a drone-industry lobbyist managed to amend the bill.

Instead of Becker’s original and explicit ban on drone weapons, the bill now only bans lethal weapons. "In my opinion there should be a nice, red line: Drones should not be weaponized. Period," said Becker.

3050483-inline-i-1-north-dakota-police-now-can-legally-attack-citizens-with-taser-drones.jpg

The bill comes amidst a whole mess of questions about drone legality. In fact, it was intended to force police forces to obtain warrants before using drone-mounted cameras to snoop.

But the legalization of weaponized drones doesn't mean they’ll be used. As part of its specially-granted status to test commercial drones, North Dakota’s Grand Forks County Sheriff’s Department is—unusually—under the "jurisdiction" of the University of North Dakota’s drone research department. That could change, but currently, according toPopular Science’s Kelsey D. Atherton, "police here are subordinate to the university."

"Since 2012, any drone use in North Dakota has had to go through an ethics review board at the University of North Dakota," says Atherton. Things could change, but it seems unlikely that the university will green-light taser-drones.

Interest in commercial drone use is exploding, and it would be preferable if such ethics reviews were enshrined in law. What we don’t want is drone pilots operating their ‘non-lethal’ weapons from far-off office buildings, remote from the people they’re attacking, like the drones used by the U.S. military. Ethically, military drone use is already on shaky ground. Using the technology to both spy and fire on the nation’s own citizens shouldn’t be regulated by industry lobbyists.

[Top Photo: Lana Po via Shutterstock]

Nola26

I am in Law Enforcement and I just built my department's first drone. I built an S900. It has a GoPro on a Zenmuse H3 gimbal and a FLIR Tau II camera. I read about this taser drone and I have to say I think this is a bad idea for several reasons. First, it will not be very popular with citizens. Second, I don't know how you would get close enough to someone to deploy the taser accurately enough to make a difference. If a suspect is running from you, you would have to have one hell of an operator to get in position to fire a shot. (remember the Taser deploys two darts in a 15 degree vertical spread, unless both darts make contact, it worthless). Third, if you are trying to deploy a taser against an armed suspect who is static (not moving), then how many aircraft do you think will be lost when the suspect fires a shot and takes out the drone? I know our S900 cost about $10K for everything, S900, radio, batteries, charger, cameras, etc. Losing a $10k piece of equipment for my department is a big deal and we would not have the funds to replace the equipment. To get the public's support on using UAV's, they need to be for very specific deployments, (search and rescue, maybe SWAT recon) . I don't think the general public will support UAV's randomly flying around over peoples homes. Give a bad impression as to what we are using them for.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
If a suspect is running from you, you would have to have one hell of an operator to get in position to fire a shot.

i'm available, have your people call my people. lol

i agree with everything you said, there's a drone-euphoria of sorts going on right now and everyone that isn't using one seems desperate to show their smarts by deploying one even if it doesn't make sense. you've summed up the situation with the Taser drone pretty well although tasing drunk college students as they step out of a porta-john at the local music festival still seems to me an entertaining proposition!

Y0urDaddy

I don't have any background in law enforcement. I have been interested in multi-rotors for law enforcement and search and rescue. I know I have had the taser idea myself, but if it is a good or a bad idea I can't say, someone who works in the field would better know. I don't disagree with anything Nola26 says in his reply. I thought their use for tracking suspects who may be running away would be a great first way to use them.

My general theory has been they could be part of the equipment the cruiser carries. Given the cruisers have good radio equipment already they could act as a relay point & the actual pilot could be remote form the station. I think the mulit-rotor would be quicker to launch than it would be to call in a helicopter. I would also assume a multi-rotor is cheaper to fly than an actual helicopter per hour by quite a bit. If you could get one in the air quick, as soon as the foot chase started I would assume that is a big help to the officers on the ground. I know I wold love one of those jobs, I do fairly well with FPV flight.

I do think most people would not like the idea of multi-rotors with tasers mounted on them. The media has done a good job at generating a lot of fear around multi-rotors.