Naze 32 and Turnigy i6 problems

Hi,

New to the forum and to Quads, but not to the Rc World.

I am hoping there is someone out there that can give me a little advice. I have built my new ZMR250 following Bruce's instructions over at RCmodel reviews. The build has gone well but I am stumped with the following.

I am using a Turnigy/FLysky i6 with ia6 RX. I have connected the RX to the Naze with all wires using the breakout cable and I have checked and double checked the connections. Power and ground to pins 1 and 2 naze and signal wires only progressively through to channel 5. I have also confirmed that Cleanflight is configured to use PWM. RX bound and Airplane /glider type selected.

The prob I have in clean flight is that, on the reciver tab the channels are showing, Yaw and throttle are working as they should but Roll and pitch seem to be locked together and only work in one direction. If I push the rh stick up, nothing happens and if I push it left, nothing happens. I do get movement in other directions but bot the roll and pitch moved at the same time. It is almost like there is some kind of mixing going on... but there isnt.

Here is what I have done thus far.

• Setup midpoints
  • Setup Endpoints
  • Wiped the TX to factory, cleared all models
  • Double checked that no mixes are on
  • Flashed the Naze twice
  • Tried cleanflight and baseflight
  • Tried a different TX/RX combo ( Ruling out the turnigy i6??)
  • Tried various different MAPS in the CLI
  • Banged my head against the wall!!!

I have uploaded a video for anyone that fancies giving me a guiding hand. Sorry about the quality of the I6 screen and video but hopefully you can get the idea.

Thank you all in advance

DDAYZ

Hi James,
I just flashed with Clean flight on the same system and my roll control is set to my SWB switch and the Aux switch seems to be set to the roll function on the switch... obviously unflyable like that... I am as stuck as you are. Please let me know if you find any solutions.

DDAYZ

Correction I am using a CC3D board. which was functioning correctly and flying correctly with open pilot until I flashed it with the Clean Flight. Alls seems right but roll function set to SWB switch and stick function left and right adjusts aux 1.

Hi Mate, It is a mapping problem. I am not familiar with the cc3d board but from what |I can gather it is multiwii based. On the receiver page of cleanflight you will see the channel map config. Default is ( I think AETR1234) Aileron, elevator, throttle and rudder aux channels 1,2,3,4). Yours has got mixed up with what your TX is configured to. mine was similar to yours where channels 3 and 4 were not operating as they should. All you need to do is remap the cli. The actual commands I cannot remember but a quick google will reveal that. Basically you need to work out what channels your AETR are working on and send that command to the board via the cli. It will be something like "mapAET1R234"
The above is only an example of the command and you will need to work out what channels are doing what. But if you were to execute the above and save it to your board it would be like this:
(A) TX Channel 1: Aileron
(E) TX Channel 2: Elevator
(T) TX Channel 3: Throttle
(1) TX Channel 4: AUX channel 1
(R) TX Channel 5: Rudder
(2) TX Channel 6: AUX Channel 2
(3) TX Channel 7: AUX Channel 3
(4) TX Channel 8: AUX Channel 4

It could also be a hardware issue but as I dont know if you are running ppm or pwm, it is easier to solve with a software approach, providing you dont plan on using leds/GPS etc as the channel's get shifted when you do that. I am about to go away for a couple of days or I would write you up a tut. If you still cant fathom it, give me a shout over the weekend and if I have wifi coverage, I will try and sort you out a tutorial...

Cool buddy, Happy crashing... lol. just built a rocket blade carbon fibre 250mm 6inch props, on 4s, gps, bluetooth and crashed the fuc&*r into the middle of a lake on the maiden flight..... On the next build now after licking my wounds...

Is you rx connected in ppm mode or pwm. ppm is 1x 3pin rx wire to pin 1 on naze and pwm is x4 3pin ( or 1x 3pin and 3x3 single pins) for each channel. If you are in ppm, make sure you have selected ppm in the cleanflight/baseflight GUI.

It's in PWM mode, but when I switch (both on the transmitter and in CLEANFLIGHT) to PPM mode it's the pitch and the throttle that move together when I push up on the right stick.

It's in PWM mode, but when I switch (both on the transmitter and in CLEANFLIGHT) to PPM mode it's the pitch and the throttle that move together when I push up on the right stick.
Oops...sorry I must have misunderstood. I have a 3x pin to channel one and a single pins (3 total) for the remaining 3 channels. I think that's pwm, correct?

yes thats pwm. Make sure you have pwm selected in the cleanflight config. After that its a mapping issue. Try switching pins on 2 and 3 and plug them into pins 5 and 6 and remap it in the cli in cleanflight. You basically need to tell cleanflight to watch out for signals from 5 and 6 instead of 3 and 4. Then in the CLI you will need to run a command of something like "mapA12ETR34"
Cant remember exactly but google will tell you the command text for remapping.

A= pin1 1=pin2 2=pin3 E=pin 4 T= pin5 R=pin6 3=pin7 4=pin8.

So does that mean that 2 and 3 on my receiver are bad? In other words, I couldn't use those two channels for anything else.

Not neccesarily. For me, that was the case. Channels 2 and 3 and associated pin headers appeared faulty. I tried every possible thing and thr only work around was to do what I did.
As a result, I was unable to use GPS. For you, something else could be the problem. As a start I would try what I suggested and go from there. To help diagnose it further, what are the specs of your setup. Naze or flip? what rx/tx combo are you using?
Do you know the default channel output for your RX?
Just to confirm it was my naze board that appeared to have the hardware fault. I doubt that you receiver (rx) or Transmitter (tx) are to blame here.

I'm using a Naze32 with a Turnigy i6 out of the box with the ia6 rx. I'm pretty sure the default channel output is aetr1234.

Ok, well with that setup. The ia6 doesnt support ppm but the ia6b does with the i6. So deffo make sure pwm id selected. To pin point the issue try the following.
Cables from RX
Channel 1 to pin 1 header on naze with power and ground
Channel 2 to pin 5 header on naze
Channel 3 to pin 6 header on naze
Channel 4 to pin 7 header on naze.

Boot into cleanflight and connect to board. Click on the cli tab and type the following. minus quotes

"map A123ETR4"
hit enter
type "save"
hit enter
type "exit"

click reciever tab, power on i6 and pluh in lipo. Test your channels and see what happens.
make sure your type in the i6 is airplane mode and not heli.

Ok, well with that setup. The ia6 doesnt support ppm but the ia6b does with the i6. So deffo make sure pwm id selected. To pin point the issue try the following.
Cables from RX
Channel 1 to pin 1 header on naze with power and ground
Channel 2 to pin 5 header on naze
Channel 3 to pin 6 header on naze
Channel 4 to pin 7 header on naze.

Boot into cleanflight and connect to board. Click on the cli tab and type the following. minus quotes

"map A123ETR4"
hit enter
type "save"
hit enter
type "exit"

click reciever tab, power on i6 and pluh in lipo. Test your channels and see what happens.
make sure your type in the i6 is airplane mode and not heli.
Well...that works...except for now one of my aux channels (in cleanflight) moves with the roll. I don't think that will be a problem since my Aux isn't controlling anything. Is that right?

That could cause probs if you flick that aux switch. What I would di would be assign you aux channels 5 and 6 on you i6 transmitter to output to channels 2 and 3. Press and hold the cancel button on the transmitter to save settings.