NAZA V2 Random loss of GPS lock in flight.

15crewdawg

Has anyone else had a problem with the NAZA V2 with 4.06 losing GPS lock? My last 3 flights after upgrading to 4.06 I had the GPS show (in flight) from steady green LED flashes to randomly getting 3 red, back to all green, 2 red, 1 red, back to green, stay green for a few, back to 2 red, etc, etc. Totally random.
The flights are in a wide open area with a cloudless sky.
When the LED would go red (any number), the copter would drift around as if in ATTi mode. Which tells me that it can't see GPS signals.
On power up it seems to take a long time to acquire GPS lock as well. I've waited up to 4 minutes for it to go all green.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Haven't been flying a V2 NAZA for some time so I can't say but we can try to ask @DJI Innovations to chime in

do you have a dab of hot glue on all of your plugs/connectors? DJI's locking connectors are ok but they can still buzz and vibrate making the connections susceptible to loosening up which might create a problem like what you're having.

15crewdawg

Yeah, Bart. I do. But even so, nothing was done to the craft besides the firmware upgrade and this wasn't happening before.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
well, it wouldn't be the first time that DJI has introduced a bug in a firmware update. the problem lies in getting them to admit it.

i guess you were flying at your normal spot or close to it after doing the update? did you try a new compass calibration after the update?

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
I have a simple set of rules when it comes to DJI software updates.
Rule #1: Don't do it.
Rule #2: See Rule #1.

My NAZA-M V2 is still running whatever came with it about 1.5 years ago, and I see no reason to update.
It's a shame that DJI force Phantom and Inspire users to update, given their track record of fubar'ing updates.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
BTW, is it possible that you have a video transmitter (1.3 or 2.4) that's interfering with the NAZA? I had that problem with mine and had to physically separate the two antennas about a foot. Since then my GPS has been rock solid. The NAZA-M V2 GPS does not have a saw filter and is prone to interference.

15crewdawg

Bart - Yes. Same location. Yes, I do GPS cal everytime I change locations even if it's only different by a couple of miles.
But calibration shouldn't have an effect on reception.
My connections are dabbed AND wiring tied to prevent movement but not to introduce tension.

Steve - Rules = LOL
My Vid is 5.8GHz so no interference. Plus my VTX is under the frame well away from the GPS puck (30cm +/- separation)

I'm going to throw a different puck on it to see if there is a difference.

15crewdawg

Update:
The GPS puck was fine. The problem ended up being the PMU. It has an intermittent internal problem. Swapped the PMU and all is back to functioning correctly.

Elgato

Yes, I am in the same boat. My Kongcopter crashed in no reasons after over a minute of steady GPS Hold in open field. Firmware 4.06 occasionally will lose its GPS lock and yaw drifts to right. After the repair, I reverted it to 4.02 immediately and so far flying happily. 4.02 has been used in my fleet(Ideafly, Xu Gong and Aquacopter) for nearly a year without any issue.