Naza V2 failsafe - cancelling / regaining control

mattchase

Greetings,

I have a Naza V2 setup and working, including failsafe / RTL. I am using a Spektrum DX6i and only have 2 position switches, so have set my primary switch to toggle between GPS and Atti flight modes, with a custom mix to activate failsafe on another switch. All of this works except I noticed that if I want to regain control after switching failsafe on I can't simply switch failsafe off, I have to switch failsafe off as well as toggle the mode switch from GPS to Atti before I get back control. Is this normal, or is it because I only have a two way switch for each mode?

I'm going to try reprogramming so that GPS and failsafe modes are both on the same switch, with the mix on the other switch set to toggle Atti mode. I haven't had the chance to test this yet to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks,
Matt

jamesb72

This is normal/by design, I guess in case you dropped your transmitter or accidentally switched RTH off, the flight mode toggle is to show you are sure you want to take back control.

I've setup a Naza V2 on DX6i for someone and only issue I had was compass calibration, as you have to toggle GPS/manual repeatedly, it was awkward across two switches. I got round this by using a mix on ail d/r switch. Only problem is I wanted all switches back for normal flight (so quick preflight check is all switches back) so had to physically reverse the d/r switch (pop the case and turn it round 180deg). If your interested setup details (I took notes) are:

DX6i model setup, select model to use
Reset model, Model Type Acro (plane)
Model Name Phantom
Reverse Gear channel
Travel adjust Gear up 86% down 75%
Mix 1 Gear->Gear D 0% U -106% SW AIL
Mix 2 Gear ->Gear D -50% U -43% SW ELE

Binding sequence with DX6i off but failsafe switch Ail d/r forward, for preset failsafe plug bind plug into receiver extension in battery bay, plug in flight battery check for flashing orange LED through vents to right of battery door, then remove bind plug, then hold bind switch up and power on DX6i and hold until receiver LED is on solid.

check switch/modes from LED.

All switches back:

Gear back GPS double green LED
Gear forward Atti double yellow LED
Gear forward with Ail d/r forward (Manual no LED once GPS locked - ONLY use for compass calibration (toggle back and forth with Ail d/r forward repeatedly to enter compass calibration mode)

Elev d/r failsafe/return home - fast yellow flashing LED
(with props off) switch off DX6i - fast yellow flashing LED - to confirm Return Home on signal loss

Flaps for ioc
Norm down 83
Land up 76

mattchase

Thanks for the info, I'm kind of glad to hear it isn't something I did wrong or wrong with the Naza, it's just one more thing to have to remember. This is the first Naza I've setup so am still learning it's quirks.

I just double checked and with the settings I have I'm able to get into the compass calibration via just the gear switch. Here's the settings I came up with, I'm also setting this up for some one else and he already has a DX6i, so I created this graphic to guide him through the custom setup on his TX (in case you were wondering...I didn't just throw it together for this post!).

naza_dx6i_setup.jpg

Attachments

• naza_dx6i_setup.jpg
    naza_dx6i_setup.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 1,973

jamesb72

As long as you can get into compass calibration that looks better than my version, there isn't really any other reason to use manual mode with Naza !

The one I setup was the Naza V2 in a Phantom 1, maybe there is a slight difference in firmware on that version ? I couldn't get into compass calibration using atti-gps toggling, I had to flick GPS-manual back and forth to get into calibration hence needing to use the ail/dr switch just for that.

mattchase

Could be a firmware difference, I don't have mine handy at the moment but am pretty sure it's on the 4.02 firmware. Can you not update the firmware on the Phantom's Naza? That would be annoying to be forced to have manual mode on a switch if you don't ever plan to use it, other than to let you calibrate the compass.

jamesb72

You can update the P1 Naza V2 firmware, but I am generally not a fan of firmware updates unless there is a good reason for them.

Looks like 4.06 is latest version from July 2015, not sure which I have, I bought the P1 in Nov 13 I do remember doing an update but not sure if it was to 4.02 or later.