Naza Failsafe sends copter crashing!!!

JohnG

Hi All,

Today was the day to test RTH, and it didn't! I have a DX7s with AR800 Rx on an F550. Everything is setup perfect in the assistant and has been bound for fail safe and has been flying great for the last few weeks. So i go out to the BIG field in front of the house and power up with a good blinking green light. Take off in GPS and hover about 20ft up, then fly out about 80 ft. I hit the fail safe and it does its thing, climbs to about 60ft and starts back to me where it stops and starts to toilet bowl. So i disengage FS and take over and land. Recalibrate the compass and reboot to learn home again. I do this same thing 2 more times! Still the same thing of toilet bowl above me. So i adjust the compass slightly in opposite direction of TBE and recalibrate everything. I start my last attempt as all the rest, but this time when i hit the FS it takes off like a madman heading North and flying crazy. I don't panic as I'm in a BIG field and have already regained control on prior three flights. Well, this time there is no gaing control back. Straight for the trees and CRASH! What the heck?

Any insight welcomed,

John

DennyR

Sorry to hear that, it sounds like you moved the compass/GPS unit in the wrong direction and it went out of limits and got confused as to where home was. That does not explain why it did not return to normal after you switched on again. Unless it was so far away that you lost orientation? After altering the declination did you test it in a for and aft tracking run.
On an earlier version of the firmware I remember having a problem where the model would not come out of return to home until it had completed the cycle.

hjls3

i crashed a heli after calibration. pretty much did hte same thing you are describing. turns out i calibrated compass to close to some thing sthat interfere with compass. since then i have learned to take off watch, get radio far away from heli, away from cars etc. were you close to anything when you calibrated?