My Experience Taking the FAA 107 Test

Discussion in 'FAA Part 107 General Discussion' started by DroneTalk, Aug 30, 2016.

1. John Doecliff Member

John Doecliff

I went through one of the main ones and was glad I did. It's a 3 year subscription so I can use it to refresh when I re-qualify. Congratulations. Bet your glad it's over.

2. Southern Style Member

Southern Style

So did I.. mine is a lifetime subscription.. so when I need to take the test again in 2 years, everything will be updated and I can just log back on.

3. MadMonkey Bane of G10

MadMonkey

UAS Pilot
    I'm lucky enough to have a testing center just a few miles away at my local airport. I've been casually skimming the materials since September but not really studying too hard since money has been tight lately and I haven't been able to afford the exam.

Well, I had a little extra so I crammed for three days and passed this morning after work with a 92%. That's a load off my mind. I'm annoyed that I bought an $8 calculator and the one question I used it on could have been done by hand :rolleyes:

Oh well. It was a bit easier than I expected, but I still flagged about 13 questions as uncertain. I ended up missing 5 in all, and most of those were things that I hadn't really heard much about.

Weather tripped me up a little. Study accordingly.

I thought airspace and sectionals were a LOT more complicated than they really are. Once I really started studying it hard and watching some old King videos, it got a lot easier. It doesn't seem to make sense until you realize there's a method to the madness. It's just a ton of information packed into a tiny space.

Regulations, performance and operations stuff is easy. Just skimming the FAA 107 overview will give you almost everything you need. Running through a ground school will help too. I've been through ground school for work and pleasure and have been an aviation nut since I was born, so I had a leg up there.

Make sure you read up on CRM and ADM.

One thing that REALLY helped me was the Prepware Remote Pilot app. It has over 300 questions, and most of the real questions were either verbatim or slightly reworded versions of the app questions. It has a study mode that gives instant feedback when you select an answer and also an explanation for each. I think that's what pushed me from worrying to death to being reasonably confident of success.

That's what my sister's house smells like :confused:

4. Old Man Active Member

Old Man

sUAS technician
    That was written with the acronyms for two approved testing agencies with just a little humor involved;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Kara Murphy Member

Kara Murphy