MultiWii / NAZE / SP Racing F3 Multiwii/NAZE/SeriouslyPro

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Just made this a combined forum and moved it out of the "Other Systems" sub forum area and into the larger list.

Flew my first NAZE yesterday and was very impressed. Also have a SeriouslyPro Racing F3 board and that may fly as early as next week.

If anyone thinks that this is a bad grouping just let me know.

F

fengshuidrone

Thinking of building something other than a multiwii for my next quad. What is the NAZE all about? Does baseflight resemble Arduino for MW?

Bartman

Baseflight is a firmware for the board, there's an ok user interface to get it all up and running. older versions of the board used a command line interface (as in you had to run an interface and use a library of text commands to make adjustments) to do the programming. Cleanflight is another firmware option with another user interface.

SP Racing F3 is another board that is supposedly an evolutionary step up on the hardware end from the NAZE32, it's being brought to us by the Cleanflight team.

I've flown the NAZE32 now and it's either an awesome board or the settings just happened to be perfect for my little quad right out of the box. I've also got an SP Racing F3 board but haven't tried it yet.

F

fengshuidrone

I tried to find a place to buy the SP F3 online but it looks like it's only available to folks in the UK right now. It looked like it was selling for like $68.00 US. I did find one of them on E-bay (in China) and I can't help but wonder if some Chinese company has already reverse engineered the SP and are selling counterfeits already. It was a good twenty US dollars cheaper than the ones I saw online in the UK. I really like what I'm seeing with this board and I kinda want one. Is the Ebay item real????

Bartman

Is the Ebay item real????
impossible to say unless you can contact the eBay seller and trust the response is honest. i bought mine from a seller in the us i think, maybe flyfpv.com? i'm not sure and not at home to check.

F

fengshuidrone

I think what he is selling (after looking again a little harder) is the base version of it. I see that they also sell a + version which is the one they want more money for. The difference being that the plus version has a mag and baro. I think I will wait for a plus version.

Bartman

the base version is more for racing and sport flying, the + version can have all of the add-ons (GPS, Sonar, telemetry, etc.)
the base version (I think) has manual/attitude mode and an auto-level mode

F

fengshuidrone

OK, I found their link to US retailers. Thanks again for the heads upon this FC Bartman!

Bartman

you're welcome, good luck with it and let us know how it works out. i may have mine flying later this week or the week after.

F

fengshuidrone

Looks like GetFPV has them in stock http://www.getfpv.com/flight-controllers/sp-racing-f3-flight-controller-deluxe.html . Hopefully they can ship to BFE
Rgolfer, GetFPV is right in your neck of the woods I see. I live in the middle of nowhere (three miles southeast of a tiny town called Wabaningo Mi.), hence the BFE. They seem to have the deluxe version that I'm looking for (also at a deluxe price, for them anyway) at $78.00 and some change. Good thing is that orders there over $60.00 get free shipping plus they accept paypal!! So, the $78.00 isn't so bad if the FC is all it's cracked up to be. Hope they have some in stock still early in November when I can actually afford one.

Rgolfer

Gearing Up to Fly
Rgolfer, GetFPV is right in your neck of the woods I see. I live in the middle of nowhere (three miles southeast of a tiny town called Wabaningo Mi.), hence the BFE. They seem to have the deluxe version that I'm looking for (also at a deluxe price, for them anyway) at $78.00 and some change. Good thing is that orders there over $60.00 get free shipping plus they accept paypal!! So, the $78.00 isn't so bad if the FC is all it's cracked up to be. Hope they have some in stock still early in November when I can actually afford one.
Yep, quick deliveries for me.

F

fengshuidrone

you're welcome, good luck with it and let us know how it works out. i may have mine flying later this week or the week after.
I won'be able to get mine until early November. I hope you will post some useful info on yours. Are you going to post in this thread about it or start a new one?

fmkit

My latest quad runnig BaseFlight/NAZE firmware but it doesn't have any known flight controller, I just paid $4 for STM32F103C8 development board and added $11 IMU breakot board (ebay), as far as I know F3 boards not better good old F1 variants which are still underloaded.
here is my quad flown yesterday - all default PIDs, DIY 2D gimbal

F

fengshuidrone

Well, I'm an old retired guy with no electronics ability other than to build using someones product. Besides, for me it isn't about making my own FC, its about making my own quad from scratch using my own air frame which as it turns out, I'm pretty good at. What I like about the F3 is the deluxe version can use GPS, SONAR, and who knows what else. I'm not looking to race with it. I just want something different than my Multiwii that I can build around. From what I understand, these boards can run a mess of stuff all at once which is what I'm looking to do. Also, I'm planning on using Cleanflight with it, especially since the board is made by one of the guys who came up with it. I already downloaded the software for that.

Last edited:

fmkit

fengshuidrone, no need F3 to connect 2nd GPS, thanks to timecop's coding style simple define activates I2C1 then UART3 is free for 2nd GPS. Sonar can be mapped on any two pins (one interrupt one trigger) no other resources needed. Most of my quads fitted w/ two GPS, all F1

F

fengshuidrone

fengshuidrone, no need F3 to connect 2nd GPS, thanks to timecop's coding style simple define activates I2C1 then UART3 is free for 2nd GPS. Sonar can be mapped on any two pins (one interrupt one trigger) no other resources needed. Most of my quads fitted w/ two GPS, all F1
You missed my first line in my reply.

Bartman

he means that he has no ability to do electronics work and prefers to just buy things ready to use.
:)

F

fengshuidrone

You know, I think I COULD do it that way, if I WANTED to. I've wired 480 three phase in my work building CNC machines (before I retired) and done .NET programming, ladder logic, and Cisco, my first computer communicated with me in BASIC. I am older than any computer I've ever met. I've also built amplifiers both tube and solid state for playing my guitar through. Not to mention all the arduino code I mess with on my Multiwii. I'm just not into a bunch of different components messing everything up. The less is more idea is for me when it comes to wiring. I just happen to like AIO boards better than a bunch of modules wired together. It was much easier to tell him that I just can't do that stuff, but now that I'm drawn into this, there's my story and I'm sticking to it;) Not only that, this thread has drifted way off topic. Thanks again for the heads up on that FC.
Going back to your original question about bad grouping, after reading some of the stuff on various threads in various forums, I would say that you have the grouping OK, but the Naze and SPRacing, although they are both great FCs and can both run either baseflight or cleanflight, might be better off separated by those running baseflight and those running cleanflight as I noticed some animosity between those two forks. I had no idea that timecop has supporters of his version (baseflight) and that there is/was a rivalry between him and Dominic (cleanflight.) That, I'm guessing, is some of what happened to this thread. I had no idea it was that bad. I'm outa here for now.

Last edited: