Multirotot Aerial Photography

urbatect

Hello, first of all I am completely new to this, with no experience with flying machines like this. I do have some background in photography though, and my goal is to start to take aerial photos used for ground textures and matte paintings. Basically various grounds in computer games or architectural visualisations, or backgrounds in movies.

I am just in the beginning of the research phase of something that might be a multi year project, so I'm sorry if I ask rookie questions here. I will also read through this forum and various other websites to learn more, but to start it off I have some broad questions.

Is a multirotor such as draganfly good for this purpose, or can I get away much cheaper elsewhere?

I assume the more rotors the more stable and better lifting power? I don't plan to use any monster large lenses, but it sure would not hurt to have the ability to.

Is there any websites around that specifically targets my niche?

Again sorry if this is common knowledge that I should be able to fins easily myself. I'll probably edit this post with a lot more specific questions as I learn more.

Regards,
Erik

jes1111

My humble opinions:

Draganfly has very low payload capacity and very high price tag - DIY or RTF from a builder is much more cost effective and you'll get a better machine that can lift more.

More rotors doesn't necessarily mean more stable or even more power - lots of other variables involved. It can mean more redundancy, i.e. safer flying, since 6 or 8 motors means you have a chance of landing it with one motor out.

This website is probably the best - highest concentration of serious AP users.

The general advice for someone in your situation is to start small - build a small machine to carry, say, a GoPro and get all your crashing over and done with before risking a big machine with a big camera.

Good luck! :)

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
If you have Draganfly money I would definitely suggest buying something else.. have a look at Droidworx and DJI S800 EVO... and maybe have a play around with a DJI Phantom with Gopro first.

Last edited by a moderator:

urbatect

jes: I'll look into getting something small and cheap first to get a solid number of flight ours in to begin with. I have plenty of time still so no need to rush it! I am apprehensive about building my own machine though. I see that the more professional manufacturers often have things like flight courses. Is that recommended? I'd definately consider getting something small and putting in the hours instead if it is possible to avoid expensive courses.

RC Flying: I'll look into droidworks for sure. I happen to live very close to them in New Zealand actually. I'd very likely end up getting things from them even if not a full machine. I would certainly want to avoid paying the full Draganfly price! BTW, I find it annoying and maybe even a bit deceptive that the manufacturers like draganfly and droidworks don't actually put the prices up on their websites. Is there any reason for this?

dazzab

jes: I'll look into getting something small and cheap first to get a solid number of flight ours in to begin with. I have plenty of time still so no need to rush it! I am apprehensive about building my own machine though. I see that the more professional manufacturers often have things like flight courses. Is that recommended? I'd definately consider getting something small and putting in the hours instead if it is possible to avoid expensive courses.

RC Flying: I'll look into droidworks for sure. I happen to live very close to them in New Zealand actually. I'd very likely end up getting things from them even if not a full machine. I would certainly want to avoid paying the full Draganfly price! BTW, I find it annoying and maybe even a bit deceptive that the manufacturers like draganfly and droidworks don't actually put the prices up on their websites. Is there any reason for this?
The Draganfly is certainly a slick setup but I've always felt it's more for industrial type of use and turn key for use by Police etc. If you live close to Droidworx you are in a great situation. You can't get much better. Their prices are on their site, including a new range of Ready To Fly products. So have another look.

Lanzar

Just dont buy draganfly is my advice to you or you. Personal advise from us since we had one and it was not what it looked like from their page. You have a lot off profesionals here on forum that would do a better job for less money.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Droidworx have prices all over their site? Draganfly and Microdones don't because they're too expensive, which isn't a sign of quality by the way - they're both crap for the money. If you live near Droidworx get down there, they're very professional about their work and customers in my experience. Vulcan frames are quite nice also.

urbatect

Yep found them now! The Droidworx skyjib series seem to fit me pretty much perfectly, and they are much more reasonably priced. I will likely do a flight course at their NZ factory as well. What are the pros and cons of 4 vs 6 vs 8 propellers?

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Yep, the Skyjibs are great, we have two. Big strong booms and motor mounts and great vibration isolation from camera.