Multirotorforums.com gone?

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
WTF, and I do mean WTF has happened to Bart's site?
Hi @Oceans Eleven , the MultirotorForums.com has been acquired by DroneVibes.com forum & Podcast. I understand that changes can be upsetting and challenging, but can promise you that we are a team of people committed to providing you guys with great content and a place to learn and interact with each other, just like Bart has over the last few years. I know we have some big shoes to fill there, but we are very well embedded within the drone industry, and will do our best to not only keep the good things going, but make them even better - I appreciate any constructive feedback that helps us do just that, so feel free to reach out if you have any specific ideas, feature requests, or need help with the new forum format. Thank you!

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
From Bart:

"Good Sunday evening everyone,

I hope this email finds everyone in good health, enjoying their hobbies, families, jobs.....

Yes, this is a farewell email as I've sold MultiRotorForums.com to a group that is going to take the site and fold it into their much more dynamic platform and manage it with their team of at least six talented people. All much more than I could do to keep up with the rapidly expanding world of multi-rotor helicopters.....ok, "drones", I said it!

They'll be making their formal announcement possibly in the coming days and I hope everyone will check in and share with them the same friendly enthusiasm that you've shown me over the years.

They're very well prepared for the task. At the helm is Marc Vigod, former co-owner/founder of RCUniverse.com, and the rest of the team is equally experienced in online media and "drones" (twice, drat!). They'll bring a new enthusiasm to the site and with that will be renewed interest by the leading vendors and manufacturers making for a reinvigoration of the site that is long overdue.

Thank you isn't enough for me to say, everyone has been so supportive and so civil in their participation at the site that you made it too easy for me to keep the lights on every day! It's been a pleasure sharing the absolutely insane world of multi-rotor helicopters with all of you and I'm very proud of the help we've provided and the quality of the community we've always maintained. Take a minute to give yourself a pat on the back for the role you played in that, it's commendable.

I'll be back at the site in due time after a little break and some investment in the other site I've been keeping going, GiantScaleNews.com. I haven't forgotten about Group Build 2016, last I checked I still have six and a half months to get it done!

Thank you for everything and enjoy the new site, it's going to be really great.

Bart"

Well ok then. That's life. It is what it is. You folks might want to rethink plastering freakin ads all OVER the place (especially between OP above and "response box" below, because it's not only intrusive but downright obnoxious. Just my HO of course.

violetwolf

Agreed, the excessive ads are VERY excessive and VERY annoying. A top banner like most other forums is plenty Please. A lot of ads won't make you anything if there's no one around to see them.

Also that "Hello VioletWolf" announcement at the top of EVERY SINGLE PAGE needs to go away right now.. Having to scroll past that on every topic is beyond frustrating. A simple sticky post would suffice.

On another thread you'd asked for my input on trimming down the number of forums:
You should start with 4-5 for now and expand as topics grow out of hand on each one.

General Discussion
Photography and FPV
Build Threads and Gear
Advanced - Surveying & Agriculture etc.
Manufacturers & Dealers

Get everybody in one place and talking rather than fragmented as it has been. Then expand as required. ;)

I for one am willing to stick around for a week or two and see how it goes. I encourage the other regulars to do the same. :)

Last edited:

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
You can click the X in the message box to remove and prevent it from coming back.

I’ve spent a few hours today consolidating forums, and agree there is still more work to be done.

Ad placements will be re-evaluated once we get the paying advertisers uploaded

droneadmin

Administrator
Staff member
The double ads were a coding error on my part. Apologies. Those are fixed. Give us a few days to get things organized and cleaned up. Each day everything will improve.

We merged two websites together and there are all sorts of things we can only do after the data import such as de-duplication of forums and organizational tasks. Our crew is on it and if you notice anything not working or that seems off just let us know and we will take a look at it right away.

AzViper

When I look through the list of discussions where was this video placed. The URL does not give any indication where its at.
Arizona's Largest Open Pit Copper Mine

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
When I look through the list of discussions where was this video placed. The URL does not give any indication where its at.
Arizona's Largest Open Pit Copper Mine

Glad it’s still here :) That’s the first hurdle I was concerned about. Looking at your profile, you’ll notice each post tells you when it was posted and in what forum (see attached image)

In this case it’s in the "FPV - First Person View Discussion” forum. http://www.dronevibes.com/forums/forums/fpv-first-person-view-discussion.3/

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 9.28.58 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 9.28.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 9.28.58 PM.png
    70 KB · Views: 1,508

Old Man

Well this is interesting. Bart gave me a call earlier this evening to touch bases and to remind me of the Multirotor Forum transition. In a way this will be sort of like a high school reunion for me. One of this sites owners is a gentleman named Marc Vigod, the originator of RC Universe. He ran a good site back then so he certainly has the talent and experience to run another. Waaay back in the day I put somewhere over 17,000 posts under the name Silversurfer and Tired Old Man at RCU as a product review rep for Wild Hare RC and helped build up the gas RC engine forum as a propulsion SME. Had a lot of fun teaching people how to set up radio systems for giant scale 3D flying and in making composite repairs. So in a way this is sort of like coming full circle.

There's still much to say and do as multiorotors, their uses, and their systems evolve. We had some extremely talented and experienced people at Multirotor Forums and I hope most, if not all, of them follow the path t the new site. A forum is what those that use it make of it. It has to be guided of course to maintain civility at times, but those that use it make it what it is. Hopefully we can have as much or more fun, and share and learn more about what we do in our new home. With any luck at all we'll still see the higher end side of multirotors presented for those with elevated expectations while also being able to share our knowledge and experience with those that are looking to grow their knowledge in the quest for greater performance and skill.

In about a week I should have one of the new Yuneec Typhoon H hexes in my hands and hope to do a hand's on review from the consumer side of it. I had to buy it to obtain it so it will be a straight up review with the good and the bad. Anyone interested?

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Full circle indeed. I know exactly who you are from RCU-- So great to see you here!

droneadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Well this is interesting. Bart gave me a call earlier this evening to touch bases and to remind me of the Multirotor Forum transition. In a way this will be sort of like a high school reunion for me. One of this sites owners is a gentleman named Marc Vigod, the originator of RC Universe. He ran a good site back then so he certainly has the talent and experience to run another. Waaay back in the day I put somewhere over 17,000 posts under the name Silversurfer and Tired Old Man at RCU as a product review rep for Wild Hare RC and helped build up the gas RC engine forum as a propulsion SME. Had a lot of fun teaching people how to set up radio systems for giant scale 3D flying and in making composite repairs. So in a way this is sort of like coming full circle.

I remember SilverSurfer! Welcome to DroneVibes and good to see you here as we both come full circle. I was hoping to see at least a few of the RCU members here at the new site.

We have a great team here with not only myself but two from my RCU team as well as 3 more drone experts of which one also has experience running web communities for over a decade. All five of us have past radio control experience and of those three are what I would consider experts having done high end professional work. You will see them here on the site. The other novices (me included in that) are learning more as we go along but what we do have years of experience in is providing a solid platform for the exchange of information and ideas.

Welcome aboard!

Marc

Old Man

Thanks Nathan and Marc. I was wondering if the Nathan I saw on the list of Admins was the same from days of yore. I suspected it was. Good to hear from both of you again.

Ya'll ok with me doing a personal review of the "H" here? You know me, I tell it like it is. I don't receive compensation of any kind from a review so they are always unbiased. If it's good or great everyone will know it, if it's bad or could be better I try not to bash but suggest ways to improve. Usually there is a plethora of videos done by a lot of people already made and since I hate to repeat history those that provide the best visuals and descriptions get linked. I prefer stills and textual description to reduce the amount of time invested. I figure since I have to buy my "toys" there's usually a better than even chance of a decent review. I only buy stuff I can effectively use. I stay with a review thread afterwards to assist those that make a purchase expand their comprehension and abilities with the product.

droneadmin

Administrator
Staff member
@Old Man yup that was the Nathan! He is the best! On reviews 100% yes. Review would be great. Honest ones are what we prefer whether good or bad. I think that adds the most value to the readers here when people just tell it like it is.

Look forward to reading it. We could potentially feature it as well on our main homepage. We are working on that feature

Marc

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Well ok then. That's life. It is what it is. You folks might want to rethink plastering freakin ads all OVER the place (especially between OP above and "response box" below, because it's not only intrusive but downright obnoxious. Just my HO of course.

Hi guys,

It's life that things change, the big factor is that my kids are getting older and it was time to spend more time with them. The "drone" thing has gotten so big there was no way I could keep up, and have my family, and have my career, and the GSN site, and some free time to decompress once in a while. As the owner of the site I'd receive inquires from time to time asking if it was for sale. Marc from DV was one of the people that approached me and was involved in the process when I finally asked for interested people to step forward.

The people running the site are VERY experienced in running online communities and yes they are going to try to make money at it. I absolutely sucked at making money from it which is why there were so few ads! In the first three and a half years I declined offers from over 100 companies to post ads to the site because I didn't want to be bothered trying to manually manage all of them!

I humbly ask everyone to hang in there a bit and to let the new owners have a chance. I chose them to have the site after looking at the bids that I received. It wasn't based on price but on their ability to keep it going, they're good people. If you're unhappy about stuff let them know but please don't write them off too quickly.

Thanks,
Bart

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
@Old Man yup that was the Nathan! He is the best! On reviews 100% yes. Review would be great. Honest ones are what we prefer whether good or bad. I think that adds the most value to the readers here when people just tell it like it is.

Look forward to reading it. We could potentially feature it as well on our main homepage. We are working on that feature

Marc

Hey guys,

Marc (aka droneadmin) is the guy that I worked with in getting the site sold. He sees things pretty much the way that I did so you should expect honest and frank discussions to be welcome here, especially where you guys stand to learn something constructive.

Bart