Multirotor noob looking for tech advice- heavy lifting

Greetings gentlemen!

I'll try to make this as short as possible for you guys. I have been doing research to try to figure out the best platform that I can use for a project I'd like to tackle and eventually accomplish.

The end goal is to build an aircraft capable of flying with an 18-20lb maximum payload and 5-10 min flight times, specifically a camera/ lens/ stabilization equipment that will provide me with professional results once everything is fine tuned and properly set up.

Keep in mind this is the end goal, the road is long and I'm realistic about it. I would to DIY as much as I can, I am mechanically oriented and am decent with electronics. I have access to CNC equipment and can make my own parts. However, I'm very much a noob when it comes to flight so I will need your guidance and technical advice.

My R/C flight experience consists of an el cheapo Esky Heli, so virtually none.

So here is the main question, can this be done feasibly with these requirements? (20lb payload, 5-10 min flight times). The camera setup I'd like to use in the end will more than likely weigh closer to 15lbs- but I'd like to play it safe.

So if you gents give me the green light, I'd like to get started on researching and eventually building my first rig. Nothing serious, just something to get acquainted with how these things behave in the air and I'll progress from that.

Thanks!

DennyR

I am tempted to ask the question of why do you need to lift so much weight when cameras are set to get smaller and lighter. That said your only course to achieve your goal is to use a conventional heli.

ghaynes

Seriously, these days what camera is 15-20 lbs. Would really like to know. Besides weight what dimensions? Weight is only part of the equation. Dimension, point of balance, etc all are factors.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?1574-10kg-Heavy-lifter&highlight=10kg

I stumbled upon that thread when searching through the forum, seems promising with specs I'd need. The camera I plan on eventually using with the final setup is the Red Epic.

Dimensions are here:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?54155-Epic-Dimensions

Weight of the body is approximately 5lbs + lens, controls and whatnot. Like I said in my first post I'm giving myself room to play with just in case, so I estimate a higher weight.

I would like to try the multirotor platform for the added stability and being more friendly in confined spaces.

Thanks.

ghaynes

Nitro

I did the same type of search. Currently the heaviest lifter seems to be the Droidworx SkyJib 8 at 4-5kgs according to their specs. I looked at the SJ8 pretty hard but bought a Cinestar 8. Couple of reasons. First I didn't find a US Droidworx dealer. And the second I wanted to be able to pick up the phone and talk to real live person, not do everything via email. So I bought from Quadrocopter. Cameras continue to get smaller and lighter. I shoot primarily stills and in a test print from a friends quad using a Sony NEX-5 I got outstanding prints at 20x60 inches. NEX-7 should only be better.

Good luck on your search.

Thanks for sharing your insight, I appreciate it. I plan on building my own, what I'm sure I'll struggle with the most will be the electronics as these machines seem to be quite advanced.

* Specific question for the heavy lift application, what kind of issues can I expect to run into with electronics?

I will do some searching on the forum/online, but meanwhile maybe someone can help? Does anyone know of any decent build threads where people made their own that I could benefit from?

I'd like to build a small/regular size and fairly simple one to become familiar with the flight characteristics as well as the general construction. I'm hoping I can start ordering parts soon, I'd like to have the first one built as quickly as possible. Off to do more searching!

jes1111

Lifting a Red Epic is certainly possible. You'll need big props, therefore big motors and lots of battery power. But where I think you'll struggle is with the camera gimbal - holding and rotating such a large camera is definitely in the "non-trivial" category ;) - this one seems like the best bet at the moment. Having said that, the Red's great advantage is all those yummy pixels to play with - so you can afford to hammer it with stabilisation in post and still end up with a hi-res result.

Thanks gents!! Did more research and found out that the Cinestar and Sky Jib 8s are being used to fly Epics around, along with Cinestar having 2/3 axis gimbals.

In kit form, the Cinestar 8 is about $3500- plus the radio setup/ odds and ends, the $1500 3 axis gimbal and the broadcasting gear- its safe to say it'll cost at least $6 grand to build a fully operating rig.

The gimbal I wouldn't mind shelling out $1500 for, it seems to perform well in the vids I saw- and it'd be a tough thing to try to make. The actual copter though, I'd like to try building (from scratch to some extent) :D

Right now I'm searching for a used multi-rotor that I can learn with, something average sized. If anyone knows of a good deal, I'd appreciate if you pmed me :)

tstrike

pendejo grande
The Red Scarlet's body will weigh in at 5 lbs, add some glass, red batts, red media, and any other Red things you need to make a proper camera, you might be able to keep it under 10 lbs built (and it does 5k) but it's a Red. I don't think they've even worked out the problems with their Red One Mysteriums yet have they? That 6 grand figure seems lite, is that including a client base station and another controller for camera op, also what kind of liability insurance do you have to carry on these heavy lifters?

You're right, I was estimating on the frugal side :D. Theres no budget for this project, but as always the more cost effective way to go is always beneficial- of course I don't want to be cheap and sacrifice quality+ encounter problems cause of that.

I'll let my partner deal with that, hes fairly involved in the industry and has his connections. I'm just the builder/ pilot, its more of a fun side project to see if we can get good results from it.

Anyways, since I've already established that it can definitely be a reality with the right gear- I just want to get my hands on a multi-rotor soon so I can start flying and get some hours under my belt. I've been doing a solid amount of research and there don't seem to be many projects here that involve much fabrication. I still need to read further into how the more advanced copters function with GPS/ those other high end features like auto stabilization and altitude hold.