Multirotor (emergency) self-recovery system (looking for ideas, outside the box)

coreyperez

I've been pondering this and the following YouTube video pushed me over the edge:

http://youtu.be/63HHiWwGFw4

A couple questions I have first:

When a MR has a catastrophic failure, does it typically fall straight down or at an angle(sideways), etc? Do they invert?

I've seen the other systems available and... THEY SUCK!

What I’m proposing is a 100% (and must be 100% stand-alone) stand-alone system. We could work out the logistics later about it using the main or aux battery on the system. But what I’m thinking is an auxiliary transmitter/receiver that is a single channel (can even be a pulse system, keeps sending the same signal until the battery is exhausted). I’m thinking this would be a two-step process. The first step would be to launch a recovery chute (I’m thinking spring loaded with an electrical/magnetic trap door to keep it contained, I’m leaning towards it being mounted on an arm (with an obvious counter balance, it wouldn’t need to be huge, just enough to minimize/eliminate the damage. The other part (I’m proposing) be ONLY triggered when the system has identified/recognized that the first system has fired (chute launched). The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] step would be to be a hard/failure of the onboard (main) battery system. You could consider this a “shorted-fuse” type idea. Something that is an electrical interrupt. I’ve watched numerous videos, read posts where the individual stated “It just flew away, I had no control”. The idea I’m selling here is a 100% independent system that (say you push two buttons)… on the back of the controller (or where-ever) and it fires the system. (I was actually thinking of it being a system with a 30lb, etc. break-away neck strap, that we could attach to the actual controller you are currently using). When things go bad, they go bad quickly, this way you could determine that you HAVE lost control, your MR is now under its own control, you activate your (no kidding) failsafe, it activates the drone chute and kills the motors to the entire system. The chute deploying will (our could) cause it to land on its side, thus putting a motor or two and prop in harm’s way, but at the expense of saving your electronics, camera, gimbal, etc.
Am I nuts? I know there are electrical (I’ll just call them squibs, although that isn’t the correct term) squibs that will blow (pop, deploy..) when charged. This would be the action upon firing the system off. As far as the chute goes, imagine if you have one of the existing MRs with the carbon fiber frames, you could put a chute in two arms, 4 arms, etc, and run your wires under the arms, when activate they chutes shoot out of the arms and are deployed that way.

Thoughts?

Corey

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hi,

There's a few parachute systems around:

http://www.opale-paramodels.com/index.php/en/76-rescue-kit-dji-s800-2

Just flick a switch and it deploys.

When an MR fails it could be in a multitude of ways. Too many to list. Your best bet is to cut the power to avoid the MR going too far away if heading out of your operating area. Usually when a motor or prop fails you can still bring it home to land. If the main power fails you're in trouble and it is likely to go straight down.

Keep us posted.

coreyperez

That is one of the few I've seen and really highlighted the impracticability of that system. It I too large and eliminates the majority of what the MR is suited for. Video. I'm thinking something that doesn't take away what we are trying to do, which that system does. It comes across as a band-aid on wetskin... Sure, its there... But it doesn't really work for the intended purpose, unless you are just out joy-flying...

Corey