Motors won't start

remyd

Hi,
I am having trouble initiating the motors in my CS8. Maytech ESC's V1, Orbit 15/20 motors. Futaba 8fg with std receiver.

Have i missed something simple? Does the DJI need to have a GPS fix before it will engage motors?
If i disconnect the DJI and go directly through the receiver motors and ESC's fire up fine.

I have calibrated and setup as per the manual running the latest FW.

I can provide more info of setup if required.

Thanks,
Remy

Last edited by a moderator:

remyd

Have tried running both with and without voltage monitoring. Brand new thunder power 5s charged and measuring 21V with cutoffs down near 19V.
Will the motors start if the DJI Wookong has no GPS signal?????? I know there is a problem in Australia with current GPS module and i can see that i am not getting a GPS signal at the moment according to the lights.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Concerning GPS signal its been very different with the 3 WKM setups i have. Some after the first setup worked right away and than i had one unit that was sitting on the balcony for 45 min before i got any lock down.

Eventually you wil probably have to do the same. Set it somewhere outside and keep it running until you get less than 3 red flashes.

Boris

remyd

Thanks Boris - there is an issue with the antenna's that DJI have supplied to the Australian market. Their Oz distributor Multiwiicopter is working closely with DJI and has recently tested new antennas with DJI techs that have proved excellent at both acquiring sat signals and also seem to have alleviated the drop out problems. DJI will apparently distribute new antennas to Australian customers that are having problems - we have our fingers crossed but no word yet.

On another note i maiden-ed today and wow i was impressed even with no GPS rock solid hovering with only minor drift. Only about 5m from the ground and within a 50m radius but still that was enough for me on my first flight. The only real issue i saw today besides the GPS is that the motors didn't seem to have much thrust or seem to be not working hard i.e at maximum throttle the CS8 lifted at about 1m per 2-3 seconds (no payload just gimbal). I need to check and see what actual RPM the motors were doing and see if i can get them to spin faster if need be or adjust the radio (throttle curves and end points) but i haven't looked at that and the consequences of the DJI calibration? etc - from what i read the Wookong throttle range is set when the stick calibration is done but as said i need to read a bit more . Any suggestions before i get into it? Alternatively i might need to re-prop the bird but i am hesitant until i know a few more things given the experiences of others even though i am running 55A ESC's rather than the lower amp versions that folks had trouble with. Thanks again for all your advice along the way.

Cheers,
Remy

kristiaj

Radio endpoint settings should be set to 100%. Then you have to calibrate ESC's, and finally you calibrate the controller with the DJI software's stick calibration.

remyd

Thank you i will try again. I did set radio to 100 % but calibrated esc's first so maybe their is some not quite right.
Cheers,
Remy

kristiaj

Thank you i will try again. I did set radio to 100 % but calibrated esc's first so maybe their is some not quite right.
Cheers,
Remy
Then you may have calibrated ESC's with a wider throttle range than your transmitter/DJI use now. This would explain the reduced throttle you experience.