Motors causing video interference??

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I just sent the following email to Ira at Iftron Tech. Maybe someone here knows about this and can offer some guidance?
Thanks,
Bart

Hi Ira,
It seems I’ve finally isolated the problem I’m having and thought you might have an idea how to fix it. I’ve got the Yellow Jacket Rx with a bipole and a patch, that’s working fine. For Tx’s I’ve got a Mondo Stinger and a 250 mw Stinger Pro. Neither will work on my Mikrokopter Oktokopter even though they both work fine on my Xaircraft X650. With the MK Okto, I have a picture from the camera before I start the motors. The picture survives the start of the motors but as soon as I increase the motor speed the video breaks up and disappears. Going back to idle may or may not restore the picture although shutting the motors will allow the video to recover. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the copter except for a bad set of bearings in one motor.
So it seems that my receiver side equipment is all fine as it works great with the X650. It also seems that both of my transmitters are fine as they both work when on the X650. Something with the Mk is causing a problem though that is related to the motors. Does this sound like anything you’ve seen or heard of before?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

Macsgrafs

Bart, do you run the video TX off the main batteries on your octo or seperate source? Also try lining the inside of a gopro case with tin foil.

Ross

Bartman

thanks for the reply. the tx and the camera each have their own batteries.
i had the tx very close to a corner of the power dist board (esc's reside there) and i found that if i removed it and let it hang close to the floor the interference went away. i changed the location to somewhere a few inches below the esc's and it appears to be better but i'll know better when i head out this morning to fly.
i'll post when i get home later.
thx
bart

Macsgrafs

Bart, if you put a peace of carbon fibre or similar between 2 of you MR's arms, mount the video tX there, it should be far enough away from the ESC's I would have thought.

Ross

Bartman

Hallelujah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCFCeJTEzNU

Well, it appears my problems were related to the proximity of my video tx to the motor controllers (aka ESC's or BL's in MK-speak). I was able to get in two flights this morning and both had stable, clear video from the camera. I.....am.....so.....freakin'.......happy.....!!!

The pics show the change and I'll take it all apart again later tonight and remove some material from the mount to make it a bit lighter but it works so I'm off for a fresh cup of coffee to celebrate. Thanks so much for all the input. Thanks also to Ira from Iftron Tech for exchanging emails with me late into the night last night. All the little clues led down the path to try relocating the video tx on the frame away from the ESC's and that seems to have fixed it. I really hope the problem is solved once and for all.

:):):)
Bart

Attachments

• P1010332.jpg
    P1010332.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 402
  • P1010336.jpg
    P1010336.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 397

Bartman

I think what was so confusing was why some devices handled all the interference better than others. I'd have to guess each device has its own threshold as to what it will try to display. The Myvu goggles must have a more demanding requirement for what it considers an acceptable signal to try to display so when it gets shaky it just rejects it and goes blank. The 7" monitor I have must have a lower threshold as it continued to try to display the shaky picture throughout the flight. I interpreted this as the goggles being the problem and not the video signal.
I hope this all helps someone else as it has been extremely frustrating to deal with.
But I'm feeling better now, thank you.
Bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing your frustrations buddy.. Iam sure it will be a lesson for us all

dave

HappySunday