motors at idle

plingboot

too blinkin blowey here to attempt a flight outside, but had a crafty spin up in the dining room anyway.

has anyone else noticed the following.

when i arm the motors and they idle, motors 2 and 4 seem to spin significantly slower than motors 1 and 3.

as i increase throttle they are still obviously slower (i'm in alti hold mode btw) but speed is increasing with throttle movement until mid stick when all four motors suddenly increase in speed - and look like they're all at the same speed - and the bird(s) lift off.

there's no attempt to lift off before mid stick - which i guess is ok.

when i reduce throttle to idle the two lagging motors stop much sooner than the others.

this happens on both the wkm and naza. both using the same pancake tiger motors, both on 3cell 1800mah packs, only difference is the esc, hw 30a on one, hw 25a on the other. all escs in bog standard, settings and medium timing.

not sure if this will cause any issues in proper flight, but seems odd non the less.

any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

That never happens with mine Dave. Naza or M. So I guess you need to redo the ESC prog. and recalibrate the Tx.if that doesn't work swop them around and see what happens. Could also be the compass calibration. make sure it's level when you turn it on.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I've seen the same thing with the WKM on my AD6, the counterclockwise motors seem to be at a different speed than the clockwise motors when its sitting propless on the bench and they also stop before the clockwise motors. Props on outside I don't really notice it as much if at all, but is noticeable bench testing. ESCs are brand new, all programmed exactly alike and throttle calibrated while hooked directly to the RX.

I'll have to power up the Naza powered multis and see if either of them do it, the other WKM on the CineStar is offline waiting for new ESCs, I'll check that one once repairs are completed.

Ken

plingboot

Still not had chance to fly either (work/weather/stuff getting in the way), i've double, double checked the esc's - both with the card programmer and with Tx calibration and they're all fine on the bench.

Just seems funny that it's the same two motor on both the WKM and Naza.

As an aside, i just ran my set-up through the xcopterecalc webpage. There's next to no difference in set-up between the WKM and Naza the WKM weighs 1170g and the Naza 1130g.

Could anyone offer an analysis of the result as it doesn't mean much to me other than thinking >85% efficiency can't be all bad.

View attachment 2037

Attachments

• xcopter2.jpg
    xcopter2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 212