Motor Upgrade for F450 Needed?

cpercival

Hello all,

Virgin poster here. I am getting ready to jump into the multirotor world, and am leaning pretty strongly toward an F450. I've been flying single rotors for a while now, but want to try FPV and possibly some AP, and multirotors seem like a better platform. I think my plan is leave the FPV gear on all the time and occasionally throw a gimbal and gopro hero 2 on when I want to do some AP. I'm still trying to sort all of this out and this is one of those cases where I don't know what I don't know.

First off, is this reasonable? I would really like to stay with the F450, because from what I've read it's more nimble and fun to fly than the F550, but I'm concerned with the weight. If I'm looking at NAZA-M with GPS, an FVP camera and transmitter, something like the Immersion EZOSD, landing gear and gimbal, and a gopro hero 2 at most, does it make sense to get a more powerful motor right from the get-go? I see the RCTiger T-Motor MT2216-900kv talked about occasionally. Would upgrading to this motor be a wise idea?

Also, how easy would it be to install and remove landing gear and a gimbal? Does anyone make a modular system that pops on and off with a couple pins or something like that? It seems like most gimbals attach to the landing gear, so is it as easy as unscrewing a few screws and unplugging the servos, or is there some kind of balancing or calibration that has to be performed?

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm getting pretty excited to place this order.

RobertsUp

Wow, cpercival. Your enthusiasm is impressive.

Five months ago I learned that things aren't easy. I've been building my first multirotor with gps since February. It's ready to maiden. But I want to modify it more with telemetry and lights and so forth. You want to duplicate what others have done and also add fpv capabilities all at once Right away. Good luck. I can't help. Every answer to every question is already up on the Web. You asked too many different questions all at once in your post. You need to read the stickys.

Hello all,

Virgin poster here. I am getting ready to jump into the multirotor world, and am leaning pretty strongly toward an F450. I've been flying single rotors for a while now, but want to try FPV and possibly some AP, and multirotors seem like a better platform. I think my plan is leave the FPV gear on all the time and occasionally throw a gimbal and gopro hero 2 on when I want to do some AP. I'm still trying to sort all of this out and this is one of those cases where I don't know what I don't know.

First off, is this reasonable? I would really like to stay with the F450, because from what I've read it's more nimble and fun to fly than the F550, but I'm concerned with the weight. If I'm looking at NAZA-M with GPS, an FVP camera and transmitter, something like the Immersion EZOSD, landing gear and gimbal, and a gopro hero 2 at most, does it make sense to get a more powerful motor right from the get-go? I see the RCTiger T-Motor MT2216-900kv talked about occasionally. Would upgrading to this motor be a wise idea?

Also, how easy would it be to install and remove landing gear and a gimbal? Does anyone make a modular system that pops on and off with a couple pins or something like that? It seems like most gimbals attach to the landing gear, so is it as easy as unscrewing a few screws and unplugging the servos, or is there some kind of balancing or calibration that has to be performed?

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm getting pretty excited to place this order.

Last edited by a moderator:

cpercival

I don't want to necessarily do it all at once, but if I will eventually need to upgrade the motors to account for the weight, then it seems logical to do it at the start and save some money. Also, I've done a bunch of research and read the stickies, but I can't really find an answer. At what point does a motor upgrade for the f450 become a necessity? Will the addition of everything I listed be too much for the stock motors?

XPFTP

iam sort of in same boat. i was planin a 550 build. and do the same as you want to. then i seen the nightquad. not put me off the dji as of yet . as that NC is a sweet little setup but again as your askin not sure of the weight of a gimbel with a gp3 on it.. if it would handle it and stay somewhat nimbel. but then 6 motors might be smoother then 4 but then i havent a clue as iam new also . comeing over from single rotors ..

kloner

Aerial DP
you would be pushing the limits of the motors with that much gear onboard if you wanted to go anywhere. the natural motor to go to is the 900 kv 2814 tiger with 9" prop on 4s. if i had to go down to 22mm motors, the 900's can be a decent motor if you get good ones. i've seen alot of crappy 2216 tigers out of the box

hexs are able to carry more weight smoothly but the gear you want on a 450 is realistic. Flight times go down to 6-8 minutes on 4000 mah 4s doing 40-50 mph

cpercival

Can't seem to find tiger 900 kv 2814's. Only found the 2216's. I did find a 2814 made by Sunsky , but I don't know if it's the same thing. Until I get used to this quad I'm going to hold off on the fpv gear. I'll probably throw the gopro on, but I won't fully load it yet. Also, I already have some 2200 3s Batts. If I go with the 2216's on 3s do I still go with 10 inch props? Anything else I should know about this upgrade?