Motor alignment tips and tricks

kloner

Aerial DP
What are different tricks and tips to getting motors on round booms "just right" ? It's not like it's just a set it and forget it thing traveling and all. is there any precise ways to make it a one time thing? anybody ever pin a boom with a screw so it has one position to sit? all my big helicopter tails had that done, more so it couldn't twist if it loosened up

Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
On my hex I used a carpenter's square. Set the ship on the floor or bench, make sure all booms are the same distance to the floor, then put one edge of the square against the side of the motor and the other edge on the floor. Pinning the arm won't stop the motor mounts from moving in a hard bump.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I use my CNC router as a true flat surface. Loosen all the arm clamps enough that it will relax into the right position, then I use a square. On one hex a while back I decided to CNC out a template that had holes for the prop shafts to stick into, ensuring exact distance from the center. But I dont think these measurements have to be that accurate, just close.

kloner

Aerial DP
lets say you do that, then gotta travel and wind up in a plane with it tore down, then built back up........ looking for an easy button........

Efliernz

Pete
I place a cd in place of the prop and put a small spirit-level on that. Free to spin to check the alignment...

Pete

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
You could make a small alignment hole in each arm once you have the position dialed in. Or maybe better, a precision dash that you visually line up. Print some up!

I Use a leveling ap on my iPhone. Make sure center plate is level. Hold iPhone to side of motor. Works great on coax too.

kloner

Aerial DP
is there a laser level that this would work with?

I've got alot of digital incidence meters from helis,,, measures degrees... stick that to a motor and tighten it down at 0 degrees?

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Look at the RC Logger digital pitch gauge v2. With this you can set it zero relative to the body of your MR and then you can use it to set the angle of the motor. Its accuracy is down to .1 or .2 of a degree which is more than accurate enough. I did this setting up my Octo and all the motors were lined up in no time and have been done perfectly.

kloner

Aerial DP
that's similar to what i have, mines called the block, has down to .01 tollerance. That's gonna be the easiest way i think....

Everytime i've torn it down and put together i get different yaw problems.... on the cinestar when you tighten the bolt the dam thing rotates the motor so it's kinda tricky. Thought my eye on a ruler was close enough, but it aint.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have checked out my droid phone level app with my shop levels and it's spot on. I'd say for checking your setup after reassembling, check the the main plates for being level and the check the motor mounts with the phone level. It works flat , horizontal, or vertical.

kloner

Aerial DP
the nice art about this block thing is it's magnetic and sticks to the motor. Thanks for the idea guys....

got the phone one too, use it for gimbals alot to figure out the gear ratio sliders..... totaly forgot about using it like this, duh

Maverick

Or you could try the good 'ol fashioned way, and set your craft on the bench, making sure your centre plates are horizontal, rotate prop on motor, til it's perpendicular to the boom, then using a steel rule, measure from the bench up to the tip of the prop, rotate prop 180*, and measure the opposite side, and tilt motor accordingly, til both tips measure the same distance from the bench...
.....simples!...

Danub

mines called the block, has down to .01 tollerance. That's gonna be the easiest way i think....
.... on the cinestar when you tighten the bolt the dam thing rotates the motor so it's kinda tricky. Thought my eye on a ruler was close enough, but it aint.
Got a pic or link to this "block" I think it could be very useful for my uap1.
I have found if you turn the bolts equal turns it should help with the position(angle) shifting while tightening. I usually do "3 cranks" swap to other bolt, repeat.

nicwilke

proplevel_zpsa4e9e4df.jpg

Attachments

• proplevel_zpsb45839b2.jpg
    proplevel_zpsb45839b2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 284
Last edited by a moderator:

boranup

A quick trip to the hardware store and buy some flat bar or even some angle, drill two holes, job done... put a level guage on it even - almost like the post it notes of motor levellers :)

nicwilke

The slot is in there for the purpose that not every motor may be 'exactly' the same distance. I'm sure Yuri will cut some on his CNC router, with a brace in the middle for rigidity. LOL