More Specific Question About Burned Up ESC's

Chris Thomas

My Hubsan H501S X4 FPV Brushless drone crashed upside on the ground and kept running. I could not get it to turn off for about 45 seconds. During this time two blades were broken and one Electronic Speed Controller began smoking. When I took the drone apart there was a wire off of the ESC which was smoking and I soldered it back on. When I powered up the drone the ESC I soldered and another one burned up.

I have ordered two new ESC's but now I am wondering if the two brushless motors were damaged when they were on the ground and the damaged motors caused the ESC's to burn up? My thought is that the ESC cooked because the motors where not spinning but that the motors may be okay. Any guidance on this would be appreciated. I am new to this and learning as I go. Thanks.

Which side of the esc did the wire come off of? the input side or the output side? It's hard to say if the motors being locked up caused the esc to fry. Were all 4 motors not spinning when it was upside down or just the 2 with bad esc's? Its worth it to change out the esc's and motors just to be on the safe side. Its also possible that the motors are fine. Its hard to tell until you get everything put back together.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Popped ESCs can damage the motor windings so ideally you need to do an impedance check on the motor coils. Google this and there are a few videos on how to do it.