Mission Planner and programming

Trevcharl

I dont like Windows most of the time, but I had to use it for mission planner. APM planner works on Ubuntu but apparently some features are missing.
So I had to make a shortcut to mission planner on the desktop, to do that one has to go to the place where it is on the hard drive, look through all the files until you find the exe file. When you get the shortcut, you still have to drag and drop it on to desktop.

My build is in 3 sections. The main frame, Cabin and cargo hold. So the Cabin holds all the electronics, Flight controller, Receiver and the GPS unit with the compass.

Had to plug in the Flight controller to the desktop, with a USB cable, and everything powers up from the 5v rail of the computer. (Some flashing lights confirms this)

One has to bind the Controllers transmit to the quads receiver, damm I lost the cable that has to link "B" and "VCC" on the FS-iA6B receiver. I just took another cable and linked the two outer wires, and it worked. The FS-i6A transmitter is menu driven, touch screen, you select "Bind" and the flashing light on the receiver becomes a steady light.

The Computer was on Mission planner, one can g through the menu "Initial setup" is selected first. There you select what type of vehicle you have. You then have to set up GPS, holding the quadcopter flat, on its sides then head down then heads up, then comes the compass setting up. I battled a bit until I found a guy that made it so simple, you hold the quad infront of you and turn 360 degrees, first when its level then on its side and so on. When the flight controller is "happy" it goes to the next screen automatically.

The next few tasks is selecting flight modes, according to switch settings on the controller. It wants to know what battery Ma/h rating your battery is, and thats that. It might might seem daunting to do this, the biggest hassel was getting Mission planner to work (For me that is) one has to click the right stuff to get certain drivers and whatnots, Ish! why cant they just write a program with all that stuff in it?

I have a suspicion, maybe some one can verify this, the cable you use for a smart phone for charging and accessing stuff from your computer, could be wired differently to that of the mini USB connections on quad copters....check that before you try using one.

Last step .... assembly get the motors to turn , see if they are going in the right direction, if not just swop two wires feeding the motor.