Micro quad as training wheels

Rupe

Hello all

I'm thinking of putting together a hex (DJI F550) to take stills with. I have zero flying experience so I was thinking of getting a cheap (<£50) micro quad to practise with. Will I learn anything by doing this, or are the cheap ones hamstrung with dumbed down controls? I did wonder if I could buy the Tx I'll need to control the DJI and link it to the cheap quad, but this seems even less likely.

Thanks.

Rupert.

airship

hi Rupe
microquad usually have a built in receiver and you can NOT use it on other built, i think that you can learn to fly with the multi you have choice or the 450 model, it is a good starting point and will help you to understand how this machine are done.
have a look to the "group built" tread , it is a big source and a perfect start ... Imho
ceers
peppe

I think the F550 will be easier to fly than a micro Quad if you use a good FC. I use the Naza v2 in my F450 and it is easy and very stable. The micro Quad will be fun though.
I used a simulator on the PC with radio gear to learn to fly. If I crash the sim then no big deal.
Regards
Crispy

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
A lot of people have a great time with the Hubsan. I've not tried it but for a very cheap orientation practise type thing it sounds good.

jbrumberg

Microquads are not that easy to fly especially if one has no experience flying a quadcopter, and many can not be bound to a programmable Tx. Those micro's are really small and quick, but they are good for indoor flight. It is difficult to see and learn eye-hand motor coordination with those little things. A slightly larger quad is easier to see, but they are not as good for indoor flying except hovering and basic orientation skill training (which is good). Mini sized quads may be an option. The stock Tx's on most of those "toy" quads are poor performers, but they are good for initial learning. The WL Toys V9x9 series and the SYMA X1 can be bound to the TH9X Tx and its variants. There are other makes of quads and Txs that can be bound together. I just know of these two combinations. I fly my 4 SYMA X1's solely with my FlySky FS TH9X(B) Tx. I lose the "inversion" (flip), but I never really cared for that feature. The X1's are much more controllable and responsive with a programmable TX and range improves as well.

I do believe that the more flight experience one has actually flying the better one's Tx stick responses and orientation become. I fly my "toy" quads every chance I get.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigholty

i have a little hubsan x4 , ive learnt to fly a full figure 8 and maintain a 4 foot altitude in my living room lol, ive learnt to fly it from a upturned sauce pan to a mixing bowl in my spare bedroom with a fan blowing across the flight path , dont know how much it would help in flying a bigger quad , but my stick skills are better than when i had NO flying skills , im looking to upgrade to a ARtF kit and have chosen a TBS but im awaiting an e-mail from the shop for full quantities that i need , till then im flying the hubsan around the house annoying everyone in here by asking them to hold out their hand so i have extra landing zones lol
Oh i have prop guards on as the little buggers hurt like hell when i got it wrong , little scars on my arms and shins from flying to close to myself whilst sat down ....:shame:

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Excellent question!

I have a Blade Nano QX "Bind and Fly" that I use and love it! It has self leveling features and will also do attitude (full control/acro). I picked it up for under $70 at the local hobby store and I use it as a trainer to build my flying skills before going to the F450 build that I am doing. I already had a Spektrum DX8 so it was readily compatible with the micro.

The transmitters that come with these microquads are generally (afaik) not really as robust as a good transmitter.

I enjoy flying the Nano QX around the house when the weather is bad (or currently as I am on crutches...OUCH)....

Mike :)

I also looked into getting a micro quad and ordered a Q-Bot from HobbyKing. They have a model that will connect to your Futaba trainer port if you'r looking to use your real controller instead of having a bunch of toy transmitters cluttering your workbench. It should be pretty fun, I'm also thinking about adding a micro cam and 5.8 transmitter for rainy day FPV.