maytech esc's pre 3-6-14 simonK

kloner

Aerial DP
So alot of fingers with all the commutation problems people i've seen on here and i encountered on 2 recent pileups are being caused from an incompatible simonK firmware and the esc's.... the fix is to reflash them. I'm gonna go through the process and see if i can overcome what we got going here and help some folks get through this crap. IMO this is totaly uncalled for and cost us well over $10k in 2 incidents..... both involving simonK esc's from Alttitude hobbies purchased back around christmas time, red, opto 40 amp and opto 60 amp both did it. if you have these esc's it is pretty important even if your not seeing problems to flash them cause sooner or later you'll hit the combo that'll dump your rig

get the avr software that suits you and the repository has maytech 20-40-60 firmwares, choose accordingly. I used the atmel programmer from hobbyking and it was a breeze, skip the home made clothes line clip, i tried that before and never got a succesful write, this route was a piece of cake

I'll be back with tests post flash, this is what i was getting

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
well, got them flashed and it's noticeably better but you can still hear it trying to lock up. in all fairness is a set of high pole motors... crap

Last edited by a moderator:

tombrown1

I just purchased some 45A opto simonk escs from MontoRC Dec. 30. What do you know specifically about which ones are affected?

Thanks for the heads-up - I was just about to maiden this new rig with these.

TB

kloner

Aerial DP
shoot them an email and ask,,, and i'd do what i did, none to full pumps shows that squeel,,,, called commutation errors. if it does it, most likely the rig won't ever tune to where your happy and will eventualy lock up a motor.... one made it 1 flight, the other went 62 but both went in.