Manual vs Attitude Mode for Video and Carbon Blades

Yes, I am still a relative Phantom 1 newbie (hence the question) :D

I have been flying for about 5 months (on and off) and just started to take more video. However, I normally fly in ATTI mode, like this morning - and still had quite a bit of yaw (which was disappointing).

I always thought that manual mode was only for super experienced pilots - as the copter was really difficult to fly? Can someone please explain to me how manual mode works (and how this will prevent yaw) and how this will enable you to get better video. In Manual mode - will it also continue in the same direction like in attitude mode and move with the wind etc for smoother shots?

I am definitely confident in flying now and know what I am doing (although still a long way to go) and think I am ready for Manual mode. But do most people here get video in attitude mode or manual mode? Will it cut out much of the yaw? as is not auto-correcting?

And will carbon props make a big difference in terms of yaw also - ie. for more stable footage?

Thank you in advance for answering my millions of questions!

Cheers,

photobobga

Quaddy... this may help. Manual is very difficult to fly in, but should be mastered for several reasons. My suggestion is once you can do two figure eights in an open field while the quad is flying forward in manual then add the camera and do it again. Manual is great once you have mastered it grasshopper *smile*. Carbon fiber props should not help, but anything could happen. Are you using the 10" DJI props now? If not, try them as well. The truly best way to rid the yaw issue is to upgrade your gimbal to a 3 axis setup. Also try turning down the gains for yaw 10 percent at a time; I did this and it helped. I also turned down the Atti gains as well. Windy flying conditions will effect the yaw flying issue.

-Bob

Thanks a million Bob, greatly appreciated! I will definitely learn to fly in manual, but wondered whether or not most great videos are filmed in manual or attitude :)

Yes, will try that. Sounds like I need to get the 10 inch DJI props. Yes, 3 axis setup - lots of $$$$ (already spent too much). Yes, I will also work with the gains etc. and yaw gains (is that in the NAZA calibration set-up - or in the radio itself? Manual sounds pretty challenging and that it is very easy to flip (without trying) - so here goes nothing :D Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Also sounds like any really good Phantom videos exist after a lot of filming and editing and flying practice, so I just need to keep patient and keep working at making these minor adjustments :) Amazing what one learns here! Thanks again. Cheers, Antony

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Here's my take. Manual should be learnt as it improves you as a pilot and it gives you another option when things go wrong. However, when ever I am out professionally I NEVER fly in manual even though I can fly in that mode without thinking about it (I have flown single rotors for years doing 3D aerobatics and the like). One simple word explains it- orientation. If you loose orientation then in manual this very quickly leads to a crash. There are some people who think it is fine to fly commercially in manual but I just don't buy it. This is a true anecdote. A shop I used to get my heli parts in it had one of the UK's top precision heli pilots working there when he wasn't competing. I came in to the shop and this pilot was clearly not happy and when I asked him why he was hacked off he said it was because he crashed his heli. When I asked why he crashed he said that it was all due to a simple loss of orientation. Helis are much easier to keep orientation over a symmetrical MRs so, if the UK's top precision pilot can get it wrong with a heli, then sure as eggs are eggs most people on this forum will crash their MRs if flying in manual and I include myself in that. Well that's my take on it anyhow but each to their own.

Thank you so much Carapau, makes complete sense - I will definitely keep that in mind! It is great to hear from experienced pilots, as I have so much to learn - and those are exactly the sorts of things I need to hear :) Cheers.

Stacky

Here's my take. Manual should be learnt as it improves you as a pilot and it gives you another option when things go wrong. However, when ever I am out professionally I NEVER fly in manual even though I can fly in that mode without thinking about it (I have flown single rotors for years doing 3D aerobatics and the like). One simple word explains it- orientation. If you loose orientation then in manual this very quickly leads to a crash. There are some people who think it is fine to fly commercially in manual but I just don't buy it. This is a true anecdote. A shop I used to get my heli parts in it had one of the UK's top precision heli pilots working there when he wasn't competing. I came in to the shop and this pilot was clearly not happy and when I asked him why he was hacked off he said it was because he crashed his heli. When I asked why he crashed he said that it was all due to a simple loss of orientation. Helis are much easier to keep orientation over a symmetrical MRs so, if the UK's top precision pilot can get it wrong with a heli, then sure as eggs are eggs most people on this forum will crash their MRs if flying in manual and I include myself in that. Well that's my take on it anyhow but each to their own.

There is someone here on this forum I know personally who only ever flies in totally manual mode, he has no trouble with orientation up to 150 meters away and thats with a quad, hexa, octo, Y6 or tricopter. I have flown with him frequently and have never seen him crash. I think I have known him for close to 3 years now. He just never uses auto level and doesnt have any GPS gear. He flies commercially only in manual mode.

Carapau

Then it is only a question of when not if.....I could have said exactly the same about the pilot in the shop but it happened to him eventually so why risk it? What happens when your friend goes over 150m away, does he flip into attitude at that point? If there was a big advantage in manual over attitude then I would perhaps consider using manual but there just isn't, all it introduces is a greater risk to the flight and if you are professional then this is simply not the right approach.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I personally never fly in Manual mode professionally. When you're at the limit of 500m away and 400ft up it's nigh on impossible to gauge orientation accurately. I totally reply on GPS to hold it there to be honest.

Stacky

I personally never fly in Manual mode professionally. When you're at the limit of 500m away and 400ft up it's nigh on impossible to gauge orientation accurately. I totally reply on GPS to hold it there to be honest.

My limit for LOS is far far closer than 500 meters. I would never even contemplate going 500 meters out LOS.

Stacky

Then it is only a question of when not if.....I could have said exactly the same about the pilot in the shop but it happened to him eventually so why risk it? What happens when your friend goes over 150m away, does he flip into attitude at that point? If there was a big advantage in manual over attitude then I would perhaps consider using manual but there just isn't, all it introduces is a greater risk to the flight and if you are professional then this is simply not the right approach.

I know that if the job means I am going past my limit I simply wont do the job. My own limit is well under 100 meters.

Benjamin Kenobi

My limit for LOS is far far closer than 500 meters. I would never even contemplate going 500 meters out LOS.

I find I'm often 500m out. The first time I did it I was scared as hell, but then had to it again the next two days running. These were some of the photos I got that first time, I had to encompass an entire 60 acre solar power plant, well, three different 60 acre plants:

View attachment 18093View attachment 18094

Attachments

• Little Morton SW Pano02.jpg
    Little Morton SW Pano02.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 381
  • Tillhouse - SW Pano01.jpg
    Tillhouse - SW Pano01.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 351

Carapau

Pretty much every job I have had to do has involved flying well over 200m away and often out to the 500m limit. Worst was flying a red 300-400m out over the North Sea in 20mph offshore winds- definitely not a day to even contemplate manual.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
500m with a multi.... unless you have Hawk eyes then there is no way you can say with 100% honesty with out unaided vision you can say which way round your MR is LOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

That's right, you can't say with 100% certainty which way it's pointing. Although I find I have a better view of the airspace around the MR when it's far away. Luckily the law doesn't mention orientation, just that you can see it unaided. As long as you can still descend out of the way of manned aircraft it's all good. Some shots just need you to be far away.