Major Solar Storm NOW - GPS risk!

Kilby

I'm actually in the process developing a mobile app that will allow you to check space weather conditions before flight, among other things. I'll post a link up here when it's in the App Store.

Mojave

I'm actually in the process developing a mobile app that will allow you to check space weather conditions before flight, among other things. I'll post a link up here when it's in the App Store.

¡Looking forward to it thanks!

There is already an app. It's called Solar Monitor.......notifies you of any activity with phone alerts. I refer to it regularly if I am considering flying with GPS.

Gary Seven

Rocketman

Great! You gonna charge and arm and leg for it, or just an arm?:friendly_wink:

Kilby

There is already an app. It's called Solar Monitor.......notifies you of any activity with phone alerts. I refer to it regularly if I am considering flying with GPS.

You are correct, and that's a great app. What we are building is actually something more of a flight companion app that will include space weather reports as just one feature of a larger feature set.

kloner

Aerial DP
Android has a bunch of multi rotor based free solar flare apps. Weird part was it's all low for the last week, nothing about any storms hitting us like the stories above... wtf

Mojave

Android has a bunch of multi rotor based free solar flare apps. Weird part was it's all low for the last week, nothing about any storms hitting us like the stories above... wtf

[MENTION=6734]gtranquilla[/MENTION]; I do not know how to read the charts you started this thread with; is there a link to an explanation of the graphs?. It sure would be good to understand which site or application works the best and use that for our planning. I work our in the field a lot, as a scientist, and I have seen bogus GPS coordinates on occasion - I wonder if this was the reason.

Mojave

You are correct, and that's a great app. What we are building is actually something more of a flight companion app that will include space weather reports as just one feature of a larger feature set.

[MENTION=132]Kilby[/MENTION]; what is the ETA of your app?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
In nearly all cases the satellites are not affected by solar activity but the earth's atmosphere is..... and that is the main problem with GPS as explained here:
http://gauss.gge.unb.ca/gpsworld/gpsworld.july00.pdf

Time is so critical for GPS position accuracy that the GPS Satellites are equipped with atomic clocks.
But even that is not enough during intense solar disturbances to the earth's atmosphere as the radio signals from each satellite are refracted differently at some times. A slight change in signal direction also affects signal speed etc.

[MENTION=6734]gtranquilla[/MENTION]; I do not know how to read the charts you started this thread with; is there a link to an explanation of the graphs?. It sure would be good to understand which site or application works the best and use that for our planning. I work our in the field a lot, as a scientist, and I have seen bogus GPS coordinates on occasion - I wonder if this was the reason.

Mojave

In nearly all cases the satellites are not affected by solar activity but the earth's atmosphere is..... and that is the main problem with GPS as explained here:
http://gauss.gge.unb.ca/gpsworld/gpsworld.july00.pdf

Time is so critical for GPS position accuracy that the GPS Satellites are equipped with atomic clocks.
But even that is not enough during intense solar disturbances to the earth's atmosphere as the radio signals from each satellite are refracted differently at such times. A slight change in signal direction also affects signal speed etc.

The information was helpful, technical, and well written. The formulas are a bit detailed but I just read past that part - Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

It sure would be great if members of the forum had a fixed thread that this type of solar information could be posted to so we could all be notified ... or is there a place that you all look at everyday and I just don't know it?

There is an App for that.
Solar Activity Monitor along with Magnetic Field Detector for Android.
I don't know how accurate they are but they seem to work and at least do what they say they will.
That's more then you get d=from DJI sometimes. :tennis: