lost visual of my lil drone

Hoki

Yesterday I thought I'd stick my tablet on my remote to watch some live view for once so I flew my drone up in headless mode which I always fly in and I kept looking down at my tablet to see the view and one time I looked back up I couldn't see it anywhere and I was like omg omg and I started shaking and I got scared and then I thought well I can still fly this since I can see on my tablet so I just kept looking at that and at first I was going all nuts with my sticks cause I was nervous and it was all backwards cause it was still in headless mode but then I figured it out and I was thinking I just gotta keep the throttle up and as long as I'm high up i'll be able to find me and at one point like when I first lost visual I almost ran into some building cause I had went real low but then I went up and finally found where I live and started heading back to me then I was still shaking I had to go sit down for the rest of the day.

jbrumberg

I believe that more than one of the membership here has had a similar (high anxiety) experience or two. :rolleyes: I have.

The important thing is that you figured it out and got your aircraft back safe and sound.

Great job!!!! :cool:

JB

Alwil

Heavens Yes!! Numerous times I have had distance fool me as to which way
I am headed. I learned to make a visual note of my surroundings and on my
pad note some kind of landmark. This is where an OSD comes in handy to
give you your altitude and a heading.
Don't feel bad- we have all done this.

XNS

Yesterday I thought I'd stick my tablet on my remote to watch some live view for once so I flew my drone up in headless mode which I always fly in and I kept looking down at my tablet to see the view and one time I looked back up I couldn't see it anywhere and I was like omg omg and I started shaking and I got scared and then I thought well I can still fly this since I can see on my tablet so I just kept looking at that and at first I was going all nuts with my sticks cause I was nervous and it was all backwards cause it was still in headless mode but then I figured it out and I was thinking I just gotta keep the throttle up and as long as I'm high up i'll be able to find me and at one point like when I first lost visual I almost ran into some building cause I had went real low but then I went up and finally found where I live and started heading back to me then I was still shaking I had to go sit down for the rest of the day.

Awesome! Been there, done that! Crazy feeling huh?!
The more you fly, the more knowledgeable you get!!!
Minus the anxiety, you had a GREAT DAY! You brought it home!!!! :D

Hoki

I really want a osd thing. how do you do it? what do I need? I have a skyline32 advanced and a eachine 600mw camera setup.

Alwil

This is a wide area. They run from $20 to $300. I see you have the advanced which has
a barometer on it. I am not familiar with the skyline32. But look for an osd that has a
barometer and/or a gps. That is where you will get your height and distance. Most of
the time they are inserted in the video cable from your camera going to your transmitter
and some need some power to run the osd. This is in a nutshell but if you search
for osd you will find videos and discussions on the subject.

Alwil

images

Just a simple diagram

XNS

my fc says osd support, what does that mean.
On Screen Display
I really want a osd thing. how do you do it? what do I need? I have a skyline32 advanced and a eachine 600mw camera setup.

I think that has telemetry already build in?!? Does it have a little back and forth switch on the side?
Google it or check YouTube, I remember watching a video on that when I was researching.
You may be set if you have a camera and VTX!
I was going to get one but chose a CC3d and a Revo.

XNS

NOOO YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN ME I SWEAT ALL OVER!
:D Everyone does at least the first time, maybe the second and third too...
whether we admit it or not.
I do remember it is a SUCK @#s feeling and draining too!!! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoki

No I don't have that model mine is just skyline32 advanced but it said OSD support so I don't understand and I wouldn't know how to wire it to it because the eachine camera I have is already pre-wired

XNS

No I don't have that model mine is just skyline32 advanced but it said OSD support so I don't understand and I wouldn't know how to wire it to it because the eachine camera I have is already pre-wired
hmmm, upload some detailed images.

violetwolf

Congratulations Hoki! You kept cool, formed a plan, and brought her home for a safe landing. That is the definition of skilled piloting!

And it has happened to all of us indeed. I always joke about having a bucket handy on the flying field lol!

dazzab

This is where RTH or RTL becomes your 'get out of jail free' card. :)

violetwolf

"Return To Home" or "Return To Launch" (both the same thing). You can hit a switch and it will come back to where it took off and land automatically. Also if it loses radio connection it will go into "failsafe mode" and do the same thing if programmed that way in settings.

But only with some flight controllers like the FixHawk (which is my favorite FC) :)