Looking to move up. Suggestions

ficecone

I've got about 100 successful flights in with my Phantom. Feel comfortable flying in both open spaces and close quarters such as in and around tress, etc. Considering moving up to something I can use professionally for real estate ads and short video. I don't have a strong electronics background and much of what I am reading in these posts seems a bit overwhelming. If the manuals for all these birds truly suck as much as I'm reading then how does
a rookie like me without the electrical background get started without getting overwhelmed? When the bird isn't working how do you get it diagnosed and flying again? Where does a beginner look to learn about the care and maintenance of these things.
I have a panasonic G3 so I want a unit that can lift a camera of this size. Considering a Cinestar 6? Any thoughts?
Thanks

I would suggest you consider getting a DJI F550 (motors, ESC, and all) with a Naza V2 controller, and your pick of any of the new brushless gimbals for smaller camera like the GH3 or NEX. On one hand, you can buy the F550+Naza in a Ready-To-Fly configuration, or alternatively, watch the dozens of videos out there (including DJI's own videos) for how to put the F550 together with the Naza. Plus, this setup is such a common setup that you will find innumerable resources, on this forum and elsewhere, to help you along the way. The F550 is a nice step up from your Phantom, and will give you the growth over time to add and modify as your needs arise in the future. The Naza is the same FC that is in your Phantom, so you should have no surprises there either.

I hadn't noticed until I typed all of the above that you were considering the Cinestar. That isn't a bad alternative either, but it seems like a big jump from your Phantom to that when maybe an intermediate step might be better. The span of the Cinestar is 800mm, versus the F550 being 550mm (and your Phantom being roughly 330mm).

Just a thought among many...

Using the stock F550 motors, I couldn't tell you. I know I have friends that run the F550 with the Sony NEX-7 and a 2 axis gimbal for it. The GH3 is a little heavier than the NEX-7, so I don't know if that puts it over the recommended range for the F550 with stock motors. But you have lots of options for motors and ESCs available to upgrade to and lift heavier equipment, even heavier than the GH3. Some are ready made kits (http://aerialmediapros.com/store/f4...-kit-with-arm-extensions-amp-2814-motors.html), or you ask some of the experts here for motor upgrades.

Hopefully others on this forum can chime in on the stock F550 with a Panasonic GH3. I personally just don't have experience with that particular combination.

RobertsUp

I recommend the aerialmediapros heavy lift upgrade kit that ProPilotWannaBe suggested. I have it on my F450 and it flies very strong and stable. It's still in the noobie testing days and it hasn't carried a load as yet but I'm speculating it's a stronger lifter than the stock F550. 11x5 props and 4S batteries. Motors and esc's are completely cool after flights.

Your Phantom has a stellar flying record. I suggest that you stay with the Dji family of flight controllers for your next bird. You're already familiar with Dji Naza Assistant. Dji has adamant detractors (mostly on that other forum) but I think the Dji system is robust and reliable. So far.

Last edited by a moderator: