Looking for help with Quad transmitter

SirMj

Hi guys. I have just joined this forum. and I'll post on the introduction page soon after.

I am on the verge of completing my first (Ugly as hell, most messed up) Quad copter. I will enlist my hardware bellow.

My problem now is that I am trying to buy a transmitter. considering the fact that I am broke, new ones are out of the equation. so I found ONE (Probably the only one in this country) its a Walkera WK-2801 .
it says for helicopter yet I saw some videos of people using it for Quads.

BUT the seller has the transmitter ONLY with no receiver or even a charger.

PLEASE tell me if i should buy it and IF I can find the rest of the stuff for it. and if I can Bind it with different receivers.

MY QUAD HARDWARE ( if you have any advices about that please dont hesitate to tell me how i F***ED UP) :

KK 2.1.5 Flight control board
SimonK 30A ESC With BEC
1000KV Outrunner Brushless motors
ZIPPY 3000 - 20 c - 3 cell 11.1v
Power distribution is handmade
Quad body is aluminum - handmade too - ugly and not perfect but I think it can do the job

thank you guys

OH OH one more thing please tell me if this can fly or would it just smack my face and make me even uglier

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
First off, if you are going to mention how ugly it is, you NEED to show us pics :)

As far as the transmitter, the first question is what exactly is the [broke] budget you have? And how much is the Walkera?

It seems that the transmitter is quite old. I am sure that you'd be able to set it up for quads, because the original literature shows it capable of use with both Heli and planes. This can be programmed for what you need, and the 8 channels will be enough for the KK flight controller.

Because of its age, the stock receivers are going to be harder to find for it. I saw one on eBay for nearly $50. Perhaps other Rx will work? That will take some more research.

The Key factor here is whether you'll be saving this money now, but will eventually want a radio with more channels in the future, if you move away from the KK2 board. The Taranis radio (with receiver) is $200 USD. While that might seem more than your budget - it's a purchase you will make once and be able to use now and with any MR that you build in the future.

SirMj

Yes I have thought about uploading pics and that will happen as soon as I am able to.
as for the Walkera its for 45 dollars. and the real reason I thought of it, is because its easier to acquire considering the fact that I am really excited to get this airborne. while buying any other radio transmitters will keep me on hold for a few weeks. (since I live in the Philippines currently).
My budget for now is not more than a 100$. although I am hoping if all goes well to upgrade to a better more professional kit.

and do you think there is a chance for this build to fly ?
PS: the body weighs around 370 g , alone
motors will be around 200g
+ wiring and battery

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think it may be better to find a more current transmitter. At this point you're at $100 by the time you find a receiver. And that will take time for shipping anyway. Then you would have a radio that people are still using and can help you with - an active communities of users.

If the budget is that low, maybe do some research on the Turnigy 9x. Hobby king sells them and I'm sure they ship to the Philippines (from China). If you need to have a Walkera receiver shipped, you may be talking about the same amount of time.

Can you tell us what the total weight of the MR will be (with battery, motor frame etc)? And which type of motors you have?

SirMj

I think you're right. and I might just borrow a transmitter for testing until my budget gets on its feet and i can get me something that would last and fulfill the need .
the hardware with weight:
KK 2.1.5 Flight control board / 21 gram
SimonK 30A ESC With BEC / 100 gram
1000KV Outrunner X525 Brushless motors / 48g x 4 = 192 grams
10x4.5 props
ZIPPY 3000 - 20 c - 3 cell 11.1v / 239 gram
Power distribution is handmade / 30 grams
Quad body is aluminum - handmade too / 370 grams
--------- it all adds up to 950 , just to be safe lets say 1 kg which was my main goal before i started .

and based on the search that I've made ( still feel like i know nothing) . my Motor/prop/bat combo would give me 2.5 kg and i hope i am rightView attachment 23889

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 357

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you can borrow a radio/rx combo, that would be the best move right now. That will allow you to save for a decent setup and still get in the air quickly. I think you will appreciate a better radio in the long run.

It seems you should be able to lift the the quad with the specs i could find on that motor. you want to ideally have the thrust to achieve your full weight at 50% throttle, which seems like these motors will be close.

Let's see that aluminum custom frame! Make sure you insulate all electronics connections well because the aluminum will conduct.

SirMj

I didnt want to make a new thread so i hope someone would read this.

I managed to salvage this Futaba T6EXP . sadly without it's receiver .
what are the possible ways to bind it to a receiver. ( can it be a different model or different brand OR can it be a different number of channels like say 4 or 8) View attachment 23972 View attachment 23973

Attachments

• 41000701_F6EXP_avioes_helis.jpg
    41000701_F6EXP_avioes_helis.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 344
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 277

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
HERE is the manual. That should get you started. I'm pretty sure you're wandering into a much older technology. Perhaps you should contract futaba directly and see what they say, in terms of compatible receivers. I'm afraid you may be back in hard to find, waiting for shipping territory now.

SFC76

Hi SirMj. Like you, I also started a quad build on a very tight budget. As I already owned a robbe Futaba FX-18, which is a PCM/PPM radio (mine is 35 MHz), I also ran into the same question; can I find a receiver to bind it to.
The answer is yes, and cheap: Corona's synthesized receivers. I bought a Corona RP8D1. It needs no crystal, it's dual conversion (less prone to interference), has good range and above all it's cheap. I spent quite a few nights googling till my fingertips were sore, and found mostly positive reviews. They seem to be better than Futaba receivers.
I already have tested mine, and it's looking good.

Links: http://www.corona-rc.com/coproductshowE.asp?ArticleID=62
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6497__Corona_Synthesized_Receiver_6Ch_35Mhz_v2_.html (I don't know your frquency, this is the link to 35 MHz but other frequencies are available)

Last edited by a moderator:

SirMj

Hi SirMj. Like you, I also started a quad build on a very tight budget. As I already owned a robbe Futaba FX-18, which is a PCM/PPM radio (mine is 35 MHz), I also ran into the same question; can I find a receiver to bind it to.
The answer is yes, and cheap: Corona's synthesized receivers. I bought a Corona RP8D1. It needs no crystal, it's dual conversion (less prone to interference), has good range and above all it's cheap. I spent quite a few nights googling till my fingertips were sore, and found mostly positive reviews. They seem to be better than Futaba receivers.
I already have tested mine, and it's looking good.

Links: http://www.corona-rc.com/coproductshowE.asp?ArticleID=62
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6497__Corona_Synthesized_Receiver_6Ch_35Mhz_v2_.html (I don't know your frquency, this is the link to 35 MHz but other frequencies are available)

at last i found someone who started like me. and yes i spend crazy late nights searching till at one point I looked at the time and it was 5 am. thank you for this its very helpful . the receiver is the last piece to the puzzle and now i am almost done. thanks a lot. and to all that helped me I owe it to you guys to make this Quad fly perfectly. I will try to post my first flight test here