Looking for a specific build video . . .

ts_hunter

A couple months ago I was researching a Multi rotor build, and I found a video where a guy was building a quad-rotor and he was very detailed in explaining all of his wiring choices. The item in the video that I really want to see again is this ESC wiring. He took ALL the wires off his ESC's and then cut to length and re-soldered the wires back on to the ESC. Only the signal wire from the 3 of the ESC's were used, and he took the hot and ground from one ESC to power flight controller board.

Does anyone have a link to this video or one like it? If I remember correctly, it was a video on one of the many multi-rotor parts web pages (could have been youtube though). All of the ones I have seen lately while looking for this one have all 3 wires from the ESC going to the flight controller.

Thanks.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
that is how i was doing my builds for a while, removing the motor wires from the esc and then using the bare pads as attach points for the wires coming from the motors. i also removed the esc wires and attached new ones that were much longer as i was putting the esc's out with the motors at the ends of the arms.

i'm not the only one to think of this stuff so it very well could have been someone else that made a video. what was it in the video that you wanted to see again?

ts_hunter

Thanks for the reply. I guess just a visual of how small the signal, ground, & power wires are going from the ESC to the flight control board. I was also thinking if I could find heat shrink small enough, I could just cut those small wires about 1" from the ESC then cut to lenght, re-solderer and heat shrink them. There also seems to be some discussion about whether or not to have signal only coming from 3 ESC's and all 3 wires coming from just 1 to power the control board.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
here's a pic i found of a batch of ESC's i prepared for a build I was doing at the time
http://multirotorforums.com/threads/xy-8-build-rev4-hoverfly.8192/page-4#post-92099

you can either remove the servo wires from the ESC and then cut them to length and reattach them or you can cut them and then cut the part you don't need and solder them back together.

all sorts of heat shrink can be found at mcmaster.com. i typically use the polyolefin tubing
http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-heat-shrink-tubing/=zb1c52

which flight control board are you using? there are different ways to do it but generally speaking, one red wire from an ESC to the flight controller will do the trick. CC3D and BrainFPV suggest doing it slightly differently. some flight controllers are ok with all of the red wires being attached.